Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Guest processing credentials

Post by marius roma »

I created an Active Directory domain based on Windows Server 2016 domain controllers and servers.
My Veeam B&R server is not member of the same domain.
The domain name looks like "mydomain.local".
The name of a member server is "myserver.mydomain.local" with IP address 192.168.1.100
I created a domain user whose name is "myuser@mydomain.local"
I added "myuser@mydomain.local" to the local Administrators group of "myserver.mydomain.local"
I attempted to set guest processing but all my attempts produced errors like:

Code: Select all

01/06/2018 12:23:28 :: Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host:  [192.168.1.100]. Account: [mydomain\myuser].;Win32 error:Errore durante l'accesso: nome utente sconosciuto o password non valida.; Code: 1326;
that sounds "error during access: unknown user name or invalid password".
So my questions are:
  • Am I missing any relevant step?
  • What is the right syntax to enter the username? mydomain\myuser?
  • Is there anything else I should check?
By the way I made a test using the local administrator's account, "myserver\administrator" or "192.168.1.100\administrator" with no success.
Regards
marius
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Guest processing credentials

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello marius.

Can you access host's admin share from backup server with the given credentials? Thanks.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Post by marius roma »

Many thanks for your message.
You are right, I cannot access the admin$ folder.
However, looking around the web I see that admin shares are disabled by default in the newest Windows versions: is it correct?
What have I to do on the Windows VM in order to allow a user with administrator's rights to perform guest processing, either if the VM is member of an AD domain or a workgroup?
Are the necessary steps documented anywhere?
Regards
marius
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

marius roma wrote:However, looking around the web I see that admin shares are disabled by default in the newest Windows versions: is it correct?
If I am not mistaken that implies only to workstation versions of Microsoft Windows.
marius roma wrote:What have I to do on the Windows VM in order to allow a user with administrator's rights to perform guest processing, either if the VM is member of an AD domain or a workgroup?
Open Computer Management, go to Shared Folders > Shares and check if you have admin share listed.