Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
friopel
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Franc Riopel

Question regarding vCenter and reconnecting hosts

Post by friopel »

Hi everyone,

I currently have a single ESXi host, connected to a vCenter server (both 6.0 U3) via the IP address. I have Veeam connected to that vCenter server for backups.

If I were to disconnect the ESXi host from my vCenter server and reconnect it via the FQDN, would it keep the same MoRef, and will my backup chain remain intact, or will I need to start a new backup chain.

I have two machines that are 4TB in size that I would rather not redo the backup from scratch.

Thanks in advance!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Question regarding vCenter and reconnecting hosts

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Re-registering host under vCenter server will lead to new MorefIDs assigned to Virtual Machines and new full backup cycle will be needed.

Check this utility; might be helpful.

Thanks.
friopel
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Franc Riopel

Post by friopel » 1 person likes this post

Hi again,

Thank you for your advice. I figured I'd share my success story in case it happens to someone else.

I used the migration utility. Essentially, I did Step 1 to update the BIOS_UUID in the Veeam DB. Then I disconnected my host from vCenter, reconnected it with the FQDN, rearranged my VMs in the proper containers. Then continued the migration utility at step 2 (renaming the server). At that point, I added my "new" server (i.e. the same vCenter, but since the other was renamed, it's technically the new one, with the proper host configuration) and continued the migration all the way until the end.

After that, it was only a matter of replacing the containers in my backup job with those of the "new" server, and fire up the job. It went super smoothly, did the incremental on all the VMs. Success all around! I performed it on both my sites, without a hitch.

Again, thank you for your help!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Good to know that the vCenter Migration utility has saved one's bacon once again as well as helped to avoid full backup cycle.

Reach us, whenever additional help is needed.

Thanks.