Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Backup Copy

Post by jochot »

Hey,

I'd like to copy my backup to a 2nd location.
Some Data:
VM Size: 75TB
Backup Size 1st repo: 68.1TB for 2 weeks (incrementals 16-800GB)
Backup repo size: 69.82TB

So I guess for once, the backup should fit into the new repo.
Unfortunaly, that doesn't work as I want it to, the CopyJob is set to
Copy every 1 Day at 18:00 (was 7 days before, to get the initial backup copy done)
Keep 2 restore points (just a Backup of the backup)

On the 2nd backup repo, I have now those files:
vbk 23.31 TB
vib 9.7 TB
vib 19.72 TB
vib 7.17 TB
I don't really get why that is? Why doesn't it just copy once the full backup file (which is 66TB on 1st repo) and then just the incremental every day?

I haven't gotten how those copy jobs work anyway, everytime I think I understood it, they do something else :D

Now that is my issue, but I need a relatively quick solution for that as it needs to be done by next weekend.
I'd like to just use robocopy to copy the data, but then it will try to copy the full backup everyday (as it changed everyday -> forever forward)
What happens, if I just copy the Full Backup file and the incrementals manually and then each day just copy the new incremental, that should work right? Does Veeam recognize, that it is a backup chain if the oldest incremental isn't merged to the Full Backup (forever forward) ?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Copy

Post by PTide »

Hi,

How large is .vbk on the 1st repository? I assume that it's almost as large as the VM. The next question is - what's the 2nd repo's capacity? The possible reason for your job not obeying the specified retention settings is insufficient space on the 2nd repository. Please see this article for explanation:

Space Requirements for Backup Copy Jobs

Also, this KB will provide you with possible solutions. Should you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Post by jochot »

2nd Repo is 69.82TB
vbk is ~67TB
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Well, as I have said - there is simply not enough space on the 2nd repo for merge to finish successfully.

Thanks