Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TSMAN-IT
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: IT Services

Physical backup to Virtual after P2V

Post by TSMAN-IT »

Hello,

I have a large file server with approx. 20TB of data on it. I am planning to P2V this server to my vSphere 6.5 environment. Currently the server is backed up nightly to the Veeam repository via end point backup and it works wonderfully.

Once the server is a VM my plan was to switch from the end poitn backup used for the physical device to the stanadrd vSpehre backup. Howrever my backup target is only 50TB large hovering around 4-5TB free. This file server occupies about 30TB of that backup space with its full base backup and then about 6 months of incrimental changes.

So I obviously don't have enough space to begin a new 20TB backup set and I would like to keep the backups I have currently for obvious reasons. So I was wondering if I can merge physical and new vpshere backups toghether. Just thinking Veeam must have dealt with servers being P2V'd before and may have a process I haven't found?

Or is there any harm in continuing to use the endpoint backup once the server is a VM and carry on BAU?

Thanks for any insights.

Carl
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Physical backup to Virtual after P2V

Post by Gostev »

Hi Carl, it is impossible to continue VAW backup with VBR. Thanks!