Management reporting and documentation
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

VM Backup Status

Post by ekisner »

Just finished installing Veeam One, I've been poking around for maybe 5 minutes. It could well be that I've just not seen it yet.

Within
All Folders > Veeam Backup Monitoring > VM Backup Status

I can choose the backup jobs. This is very handy as I have some users who wish to be able to look and see that "their" servers and services are being protected. However, it only provides a very narrow view because it only does VMs. I have SQL, for example, on a physical server. Protected with the latest and greatest windows agent. I cannot see a way to select and include that SQL server (or any agent backup for that matter).

Net result, the application server (the piece that is "meh") has excellent report information... where the database server (or databases, more specifically) are unknown.

Is there a way that I can get the information provided by the mentioned report to include both a subset of VMs and agents?

EDIT: I put the wrong report name in, derp.
ekisner
Expert

Re: Backup Job Historical Information

Post by ekisner »

And is there a way to provide the same format of information for tape protection of said subsets as well?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: VM Backup Status

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Erik,
Current release is the first where Veeam Agents were supported.
First release has Protected computers report that lists all protected and unprotected machines (protected by Veeam agents) including their last backup state.
Upcoming product release will include "Backup Job Historical Information for agents" and several other reports.
Tape reports already include information about physical machine backups.
Thanks!
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner »

Glad to hear there will be some useful information for agents coming!

As for the tape reports, do you mean the All > Veeam Backup Tape Reports > Tape Backups?

If so...
1) That report is an absolute trainwreck
2) Is there any way to get it for just the VMs/agents that matter to the particular business unit?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Erik,

Let me chime in here. Yes, Tape Backups can provide data about VMs stored on tapes. If you need to report on Agents, then only Protected computers report can help here. Can you please tell us how do you group resources of business units today?

Thank you!
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner » 1 person likes this post

In the exact case of what I'm trying to use now, our finance dept has a somewhat technical person that is elected to monitor their line-of-business applications. The application servers for said LOBs are all dedicated VMs, and the databases are all on a shared physical SQL server.

In the infrastructure, the LOB app servers are all grouped logically within folders and vApps, they've got tags, I've got a lot of different ways to get the VMs isolated by scope or business view. The SQL server, of course, doesn't fit with that. But it looks like, with the mentioned incoming reports for Agents, I could use a Custom Report to tie the two together.

The format of the VM Backup Status report is perfect for me. The person who monitors these particular services can look at the report and immediately know all of the restore points, both good and bad. But it only shows the disk backups, not the tape backups.

So, what I'd like to see, is the 'VM Backup Status' report format applied to tape jobs and agent jobs. That way they can all be married together via a Custom Report.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Ok, got it. I will share this feedback with the dev team, so that we could plan this FR for our next updates.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Erik, could you also elaborate on that report?
ekisner wrote:That report is an absolute trainwreck
What would you change in the report?
Thanks!
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner »

Shestakov wrote:Erik, could you also elaborate on that report?
Thanks!
Everything, to be honest.

Consider, for example, that I have a server called server1. The name specifically is irrelevant... as long as we have one to look for. And, consider this screenshot of the report: https://ibb.co/hRYied

Can you tell me which restore points belong to server1?

Edit:
Consider that:
  • There is a VMs/Computers column which is always 1. The only value is that it's a link you can click to see if it's the VM you're actually looking for (no thanks...)
  • There are multiple entries for the same job. Consider 6/2/2008. There should be 1 row, it should have 10 in the VMs/Computers (even better, a list of VM names just like the tapes column), it should reference tapes 00001 and 00005, and quite possibly the status of the job (failed/warning/success) - different rows for job status as needed. Instead there are 10 rows referencing individual links to VM names, with tape IDs.