Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

How will disabling a tape job affect the source job?

Post by kapple »

Hi,

To start, we are running Veeam B&R for VMware version 9.5.0.1536.

We are looking to clear a lot of space on our Veeam backup targets, so that we can re-design all our backup jobs. Our largest backups by far are 3 file servers. The plan is to create an ad hoc backup to tape job that will copy all the fulls and increments of these 3 servers, so that there are the last 30 restore points available on tape (44 TB of data). We will then delete these files from the disk backup target, so that we have room to redesign our backup jobs.

Currently, these 3 servers are backed up to disk in one job. That job has a secondary target to backup the most recent full backup file to tape. I do not want this, or any of the backup to tape jobs to run this weekend, so that the ad hoc backup to tape job can run throughout the weekend.

What I did was disable the scheduled backup to tape jobs for all our backups this weekend, so that this large ad hoc job can run, using parallel processing and both available drives. I also disabled the primary backup job for these 3 file servers, and will rely on previous versions of the Windows drives if there is a need to restore a user file.

In the primary backup jobs, I left the secondary target settings in tact. My assumption is that the backup to disk jobs will run fine, but the job will error out due to the tape jobs being disabled. Other than that, the primary backup to disk job should be "successful". Is this assumption valid?

Thanks,
Ken
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: How will disabling a tape job affect the source job?

Post by veremin »

The job should finish successfully, no errors regarding missed secondary job should be generated. Thanks.
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

Post by kapple »

Thank you Vladimir.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Let us know, if you have any other questions. Thanks.