Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Suggestion - predicted completion times

Post by pshute »

If I look at a running backup or tape job, I see percentage job progress and duration, so I can calculate a predicted finishing time, but it's fiddly - Duration x 100 / Percent done + start time. Can I please suggest that VBR includes a predicted completion time in the running job stats?

I don't need this very often, but occasionally it would be useful. For example, a tape job is running late because it was delayed by a temporarily unavailable resource, and the offsite storage pickup is due in an hour. I need to know if the tape will be ready for the driver to take.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Suggestion - predicted completion times

Post by PTide »

hi,

The processing speed depends on many factors such as network load, source repository load, the way backup files are distributed on the source repo etc. That is, prediction would be very approximated, at best, and I doubt it would be really helpful. Anyway your request has been noted, thank you for your input.
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Re: Suggestion - predicted completion times

Post by pshute »

Thanks. Yes, of course it's an estimate, and of course it could be wrong. But the calculations I do from the stats are useful, so it would be convenient if they were done for me. One option would be a chart showing time vs percent done. That would let one extrapolate the completion time visually.