Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

Can this backup Hybrid mailboxes?

Post by cerberus »

We have Exchange 2013 on-premise and are integrated with Exchange Online (hybrid).

We have mailboxes that are full on-premise for which we use BR9; then we have mailboxes who have their primary mailbox on-premise and archive mailbox offloaded to the cloud; and lastly we have a few users that are fully could (primary + archvie mailbox).

Will this product be able to backup hybrid mailboxes, where the primary is on-premise (being backed up locally by BR9) and archive mailbox is on the cloud? We are in a dire need for something like this.

These "hybrid" mailboxes only have a Exchange Online Archiving license; since they are not fully cloud mailboxes they don't actually show up in Exchange Online Administrative interface as a mailbox; administrated via PowerShell only.

Thanks.
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

Re: Can this backup Hybrid mailboxes?

Post by cerberus »

I can't seem to edit my original post, so I will add to more details on this issue/request below.

What we have as part of Microsoft's eCAL suite access to EOA (Exchange Online Protection) licenses; this allows us to enable archiving for our on-premise mailboxes and offload the archive mailboxes into the cloud. We have leveraged this for some of our very large mailboxes. This works great, we can offload our growing exchange environment into the cloud; but one risk is being able to "backup" the archive-only cloud mailboxes; it seems to be nearly impossible to backup or manage.

I was able to get Veeam's O365 s/w to connect to our O365 tenant and start backing up mailboxes that are fully in the cloud, meaning the primary and archive mailbox; they both get picked up but NOT the archive only mailboxes; they do not appear within the Veeam O365 UI just as they don't appear when we visit the O365 Admin Centers > Exchange > Recipients > Mailboxes.

But those mailboxes are indeed there, if we connect to O365 via PowerShell, we can see them using..

Get-MailUser | Where-Object {$_.ArchiveStatus -match "Active"} | Select DisplayName,ArchiveName,ArchiveStatus,ArchiveDatabase

DisplayName ArchiveName ArchiveStatus ArchiveDatabase
----------- ----------- ------------- ---------------
XXX {Online Archive - XXX} Active NAMPR02DG137-db021
XXX {Online Archive - XXX} Active NAMPR02DG065-db005
XXX {Online Archive - XXX} Active NAMPR02DG054-db036
XXX {Online Archive - XXX} Active NAMPR02DG143-db037

But they are not treated like normal mailboxes in O365; you cannot use "Get-Mailbox" since these mailboxes are classified as MailUser instead of Mailbox.

Is there any plans to support backing up these types of scenarios? I found this link https://vanhybrid.com/2013/10/18/exchan ... es-part-1/that will explain this "exchange" setup much better than i can in this post.

It would be great if we could leverage this new product to backup these types of mailboxes.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

As you stated yourself, this not possible today. Our R&D team informed me that they will look into this and if it is easy to get them enabled, it might still become available in v1. If not, then this is definitively on our radar for the next version!

Thanks for all the help
Mike
tore
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by tore »

We have an identical setup as OP and would like to know if this scenario is now support by Veeam for Office 365.

Any news?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 1.5 supports hybrid setups so you should be able to create backups without issues.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
pesos
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: John Johnson

Post by pesos »

Has anyone actually confirmed this scenario? We too have primaries onprem and archives in the cloud and in my earlier testing veeam was unable to back up such archives (it was expecting/assuming there would be a user guid in the cloud, and there isn't - there is only an archive guid). Hopefully this has finally been addressed - can someone confirm?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey John,

This works perfectly in our setup. If there is an issue, could you please create a support call? (Log the case ID here and the potential solution after research of our engineers also)

Thanks
Mike
pesos
Expert

Post by pesos »

I did, but that was back when the original product launched. Haven't tried it again since 1.5
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

John,

Please do. This must work now
pesos
Expert

Post by pesos »

Hi Mike,

We are trying out 2.0.0.567 and attempting to back up archives in a hybrid environment (mailbox is onprem, archive is in the cloud). We select "archive" only under the selection criteria, and the job runs through all 1300ish objects saying that it can't find the mailbox on every one, so nothing backs up. Looks a lot like the issues discussed earlier on this thread. Did this somehow break in this newer version?

Thank you!
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi John,

Version 2.0.0.567 is outdated already. For v2, you can download the latest available patch here.

And you might have missed another great news - VBO version 3 is GA right today. I suggest you give it a try as it has a lot to offer :)
pesos
Expert

Post by pesos »

Thank you Polina.

Just updated to v3.

Same issue.

Should I open a case? Before I do, can someone from Veeam confirm for sure whether or not this scenario is actually intended to work:
Backing up an archive mailbox that is in the cloud when the primary mailbox is onprem (exchange hybrid).

Thank you!
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

John,

This is a valid and supported scenario. Which organization deployment type are you selecting in the Add Org wizard?
pesos
Expert

Post by pesos »

Thanks Polina, switching to hybrid did the trick (although it took some doing and hosts file tweaking to get a scenario where I could successfully connect both EWS and powershell to onprem exchange - maybe because the veeam server is in a different, nontrusted domain than the exchange server?)
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

The same/trusted domain requirement is relevant for VBO components (server, console, proxies), but it doesn't apply to the protected on-prem Exchange or SharePoint servers.
Which errors specifically did you get for EWS and PowerShell?