Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Interesting backup copy warning

Post by danswartz »

So I have a few jobs on a vsphere datastore. Daily forever forward with another backup copy job to a different datastore. It's been working just fine. I have a ubuntu 14.04 guest that was converted to a template. Twice now, I've seen the nightly backup copy job finish with a warning. Both times, the only guest that had an issue was the ubuntu template. It says "Initial copy did not complete, and will resume on the next copy interval". Looking at the nightly backup job, it says "Skipping task because backup already exists for this template". I assume this is because templates never execute, so nothing would change. That makes sense, but then shouldn't the backup copy job be smart enough not to try to copy it? e.g. bogus warning from the backup copy job?

"
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Interesting backup copy warning

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Dan,
Do you have backup and backup copy jobs running at the same time when you get the backup copy job warning?
Thanks!
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

No, there wasn't. Even if there was, why would only the template VM be affected? Looking at the output window for only the ubuntu template:

3/25/2016 4:24:23 AM :: No up-to-date restore points available
3/26/2016 4:00:52 AM :: Initial copy did not complete, and will resume on the next copy interval
3/26/2016 4:00:52 AM :: Processing finished with warnings at 3/26/2016 4:00:52 AM

The only backup in the regular backup job was over a week ago (not surprising, since it's a template and won't change?)
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

As a result do you have the backup and copy of the template as expected? Am I right saying that the only thing disturbs you is warning?

Warning tells you that no restore points will be copied because nothing new is found. I don`t think the warning is bogus here.
"Skipping task because backup already exists for this template" message also looks normal.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Dan, are you using Veeam B&R v9? If yes, then the behavior doesn't look expected, as there shouldn't be any warnings regarding templates processing in the backup copy job.
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

Sorry, I didn't see the replies until just now. Yes, I am running 9.0.0.902.
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

I am updating to 1491. Will let you know what happens...
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

Interesting. So, upgraded to 1491. I then did a Daily Backup Job, followed by forcing a Daily Backup Copy Job. I didn't get the warning message, but now the job shows as partially (91%) complete. The ubuntu template VM shows as "Pending" due to "Latest restore point is already copied".
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

Okay, there's definitely at least one bug here. I no longer get the previous warning. As I said in the previous post, the copy job keeps saying 91% complete with the ubuntu template shown as "Pending". Even more irritating and confusing, because the job never finishes, nothing is shown in the logs under "Last 24 hours", even though all guests except the ubuntu template are in fact being copied at 1AM (when the job is supposed to run.) If you don't think to look at the copied guests under the "Backups" => "Disk (copied)" section, you'd think the job was not doing anything. Should I open a support case?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Dan,
In any case the job should not hang at 91%, so yes, please contact the support team and let us know the case number once you get it. Thanks!
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

Case 01747713 opened.
PatrikSE
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrik Kensfors

Post by PatrikSE »

Interesting thing - Last week I got the old behaviour back in my latest setup with Veeam 9.5 Update 3. Veeam B&R throws warnings regarding templates processing in the backup copy job.

Have other identical setups with the same customer that doesen't give me warnings regarding templates processing in the backup copy job so I opened a Support Case. I got the feedback (even asked for a double check) that it's the expected behaviour that Veeam B&R Backup Copy job results with warning if I don't run incremental backups of Templates (default setting) and that I should leave feedback here in the forum to change the behaviour in future releases.

Anyone else experienced that the old pre-version9-behavior with Copy Job Warnings for VM Templates are back?