Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kellison
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ken Ellison

vSphere 4.1 High Availability Mode

Post by kellison »

I have vSphere 4.1 on 3 ESX host (IBM HS22 Blades) connected via fiber to a IBM XIV SAN. My current Veeam is a VM Windows 2008 R2 64bit server ver. 5.0.1.198(64 bit). Currently I have setup a datastore to store my backups on and set that up as a "G" drive on my Veeam server. In Veeam I setup my backups to point to the VM's via the ESX hosts. I noticed the other day when I moved (vmotion) a VM to another ESX host then my backup for that VM failed (I have all my VM's grouped into one backup depending on the Operating System - i.e. Windows 2003 SP2 servers in one backup group, all my Windows 2008 32-bit's in another and so forth). We eventually want to also introduce the "HA" within vSphere but by doing this my VM's will be moving from one ESX host to another automatically. How can I ensure that my backups will continue to work without having to manually go in and delete/add the VM everytime it moves? Do I need to setup my backups via the vCenter vice the individual ESX hosts? Thanks Ken
Alexey D.

Re: vSphere 4.1 High Availability Mode

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Ken,

Yes, you neet to point to VMs through vCenter, not by adding individual hosts. vCenter is aware of vMotion and since that B&R also does. This should cover your scenario.
kellison
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ken Ellison

Re: vSphere 4.1 High Availability Mode

Post by kellison »

Great, that was what I hoped you would say.. A little work to fix this but no big deal. Thanks Ken