Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
wstmann
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Mann

Instant VM Recovery Questions

Post by wstmann »

Back in April we had a failure on a VM that required us to restore from backup. We opted to use the instant VM Recovery. Everything was running great for a few days (only have maintenance windows on weekends). Then, the physical backup server we have began to send out alarms. The 100gb C drive was filled. The instant vm recovery crashed, and the physical backup server needed a reboot.

We then began watching it more closely, and during payroll noticed it was filling up quite fast and needing a reboot every day.

Questions out of this for the community:

1) When instant VM Recovery is used, does it not mount the backup file as a datastore from the backup repository to the host? I would think that the backupfile would be mounted, and server resources would be presented from the host? If this is the case, why was my C Drive filling up?
2) What are the specs for a solid backup server, that can reliably run an instant recovered VM?
3) IS a synology nas capable enough to run instant recovered VM's?

I inherited kind of a mess and I have never used Veeam prior to this new client. and i am looking for what i should do to make better use of veeam and the recovery options.

Thanks
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 289 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Instant VM Recovery Questions

Post by Regnor »

In the Repository settings you can define the mount server, which is used to publish the NFS datastore, and a write-cache folder, which is be default on C:.
Veeam will publish the backup files read-only and all changed go to the write-cache folder.
Additionally if you choose "Restore to a new location" in the Instant Recovery assistant you can specify a datastore for virtual disk updates.

Regarding Synology; you can use the disk space as a backup repository, but the mount server for Instant Recovery still needs to be placed on a Windows machine.