Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
scidoner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

NFS 4.1 multipathing

Post by scidoner »

Hi guys!

Is there any chance to get Veeam to support NFS 4.1 multipathing when using Direct NFS transport mode?

My ESXi hosts are connected to a NFS 4.1 share across 2x 1GbE links, which is working correctly.

If Veeam would connect to the NFS 4.1 share via the two links as well, I feel like it would seriously improve performance.

Cheers.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: NFS 4.1 multipathing

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I can confirm that we do not use NFS 4.1 mutlipathing at DirectNFS or Backup from Storage Snapshot (NFS).

We will treat this as a feature request. Based on policy of Veeam we can not comment about the future implementations and timelines.
scidoner
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Post by scidoner »

Thanks for the reply + confirmation that it is currently not supported (saves me going mad trying to configure it!).

No problem at all, I hope to see it implemented some day so thanks for acknowledging it as a feature request!
jameskilbynet
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: James Kilby

Post by jameskilbynet »

Yep I have just come across this issue in an environment ( and confirmed in my lab)

It would be useful if this could be implemented
Kazz
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Kazz Beck

Post by Kazz »

Has this ever been put in the works?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

It will not be in v11. We can not comment about the versions or updates after it.
orb
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Olivier

Post by orb »

Multi pathing and NFS has always a funny subject. VMware support only session trunking mode Synology, VNX, Unity, nfsd on linux support this mode while NetApp support only pNFS and Oracle has his own client dNFS but work with NetApp. NFSv3 seems to have better performances than v4.1. It is supposed to be fixed in 4.2 but VMware doesn't support it yet while NetApp does (still fresh though)

Oli
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Maybe someone can explain to me, but is NFS just a really fragmented protocol?

Oli's comment is...well, frustrating, not because of anything Oli specifically said, but because all these vendors apparently just do their own implementation. I get this is part of the 'charm' of an open protocol, but at the same time, it makes me nervous to invest time in it because I'm not sure if a given hardware vendor will have the "right" implementation.

Is there a good resource to get atop modern NFS implementations? Or is it just something you need to chase down per vendor?
orb
Service Provider

Post by orb » 1 person likes this post

@soncscy

I understand your frustration but NFS is like CIFS, it has a multi-client usage. NFSv4.1 exists since 2010, 4.2 came around 2017, but still today most NFS implementation with VMware uses v3. The advantage of NFS against blocks back in the days is you didn't need any block storage knowledge to have it work, it was more flexible and most the guys had *nix background. This document is good to read https://www.netapp.com/media/10720-tr-4067.pdf but as you notice they focus on client usage, not really VMware. VMware documentation is still a good read to reminds you what they can do or not but also VMware functionalities you lose by choosing 4.1 https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphe ... C328F.html

You can emulate block like functionalities like multipathing or multi-link with 2 IPs with NFSv3 but you need to do all the work at the network/switch/vswitch level. You could do that when you had only 1 GbE links but the technical complexity it adds isn't worth the hassle when you have 10GbE or higher links. https://wahlnetwork.com/tag/nfs/, most of the articles are from 2012 but still relevant today when it comes with NFS/VMware.

Oli
orb
Service Provider

Post by orb » 1 person likes this post

orb wrote: Dec 25, 2020 7:38 pm Multi pathing and NFS has always a funny subject. VMware support only session trunking mode Synology, VNX, Unity, nfsd on Linux support this mode while NetApp support only pNFS and Oracle has his own client dNFS but work with NetApp. NFSv3 seems to have better performances than v4.1. It is supposed to be fixed in 4.2 but VMware doesn't support it yet while NetApp does (still fresh though)

Oli
Correction : NetApp still doesn't support NFS 4.2
Kazz
Expert

VBR 12 NFS 4.1 multipathing

Post by Kazz »

I stumbled across an old post here -> vmware-vsphere-f24/nfs-4-1-multipathing-t51493.html
at the time multipathing was not supported, but the last comment suggested it would be available in v11. Did multipathing ever make it in v11 and is it available in v12?

Looking to increase the transfer speeds to a synology nas and looks like multipathing is my only option.

My VBR proxy is a VM with 2 NICs, first nic is data vlan and the second nic is an unrouted nfs vlan.
If I multipathing is possible, would I need 2 vswitches for nfs and 1 nic from each switch added to VBR proxy or multiple vnics from the same vswitch ?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Kazz, I can see no comments here stating that it would be in v11. It is still an open feature request that wasn't prioritized enough due to amount of requests so far.
orb
Service Provider

Post by orb »

Kaz,

I've noticed that your goal is to increase your transfer speed. NFS multipath won't be of much help in this regard. Instead, you should consider transitioning to iSCSI. You can create 2 (minimum of 12 disks) to 4 LUNs (24 disks or more) and stripe them with a block size of 128k/256k on a single logical volume. This approach will allow you to maximize your performance, especially when using SATA drives. The actual results will depend on your specific storage configuration. Alternatively, you can also do a SOBR, assign each repo to a NIC

As a side note:
I've heard that NFS trunking has been removed in Synology DSM 7. To enable it, you may need to use the shell.
There are also rumors that NetApp is working on NFS trunking.
Kazz
Expert

Post by Kazz »

@orb

Thank for your comment and a suggestion. Is NFS multipathing meant to help with a link failure and not with the speed? We only have 1 available port left on the Synology and can't switch NFS dedicated nic to be a second nic for iscsi yet as we have other devices accessing Synology via NFS.