Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
nathan.mcclintock
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nathan McClintock

Ignore tapes with specific barcode prefix

Post by nathan.mcclintock »

Hi

I have an IBM TS3100 autoloader (fibre channel and with one tape drive). My tapes have barcodes and my backups are working perfectly fine.
(Obviously) Veeam backs up my Windows/Linux systems and does so to a set of tapes with barcode labels "GDC###". This works fantastically.

I also have an IBM Power System (AIX and IBM i) connected to the tape drive. I can run manual backups from those operating systems to the TS3100 with no problems. Therefore there is no apparent tape drive 'ownership' or 'interference' issues between Veeam and the IBM Power System.

I want to automate the IBM Power System backups. In doing so I would like to differentiate between tapes (by technology) via their barcodes.
GDC### for Windows/Linux
MAX### for IBM POWER System OSes

My question:

In Veeam, is there a way to prevent the tapes with the barcode prefix "MAX" being added into an 'operational' media pool? (i.e. could I send them to a media pool that is never used in Veeam?).

Cheers
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Ignore tapes with specific barcode prefix

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Nathan.

Unfortunately there is no way to automate it. Some workarounds from the top of my head:

1. Use library partitioning and manually assign all the tapes with desired prefix to the partition hidden from Veeam B&R server.
2. Create a custom media pool in Veeam B&R and manually move all tape media with the desired barcode to this media pool. Do not use this media pool with your Veeam job. I bet it's possible to automate such approach with PowerShell.
nathan.mcclintock
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nathan McClintock

Re: Ignore tapes with specific barcode prefix

Post by nathan.mcclintock » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Dima. I will have to use #2 because the TS3100 has one drive and it has a 'one drive per partition' rule.