Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Keeping old restore points?

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Folks,

If I have a backup job with a retention cycle of 30 days, and I want to lower the cycle to 14 days, but I want to keep the restore points that are older than 14 days, is that possible? Can I copy the restore points that are older than 14 days to a different location, lower the retention cycle to 14, and let the backup job delete the older restore points from the backup chain, and then still be able to do restores from the restore points that I copied, should the need arise?

The backup job in question is an Application Aware job that backs up a physical Exchange server.

The reason for this is that we have been backing up our Exchange servers for almost a month now, without removing any restore points, and now we have installed a new Veeam backup server that we want to use for backup copies for long-time archiving purposes. We have created a backup copy job that will create 4 weekly backups, 12 monthly backups and 1 yearly backup. And we prefer not to lose anything from our original 30 (almost) days of backups.

Sincerely,
Per Jonsson
Sweden
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Keeping old restore points?

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Unless you're running reverse incremental mode (and those points are stored in form of reverse increments - .vrb), you can manually copy the backup chain to whatever location you want to. In case restore is needed, you will simply import the backup chain and execute restoration procedure. Thanks.