Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

Advice on additional storage

Post by gingerdazza »

Hi Veeam peers!

We have a HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9 2x10 core E5 v3 Veeam server running Windows 2012 R2 with:
Smart Array P840. with 12x4TB SATA HDD in a RAID50 giving 36TB usable.

I have a spare server becoming available full of storage and would love your opinions on the best way to add it into the existing Veeam infrastructure. The spare server is;
DL380p Gen8, 2 x 6 core E5 V2, with SAS connection to HP MSA 2040+D2700 disk enclosure, containing 40x1TB SAS DUAL PORT HDD

So, feasibly I could connect up the MSA to the current Veeam server to just add storage
OR
I could build the spare box as an independent Windows 2012/16 server, with local storage, acting as a second repository.

Either way I then I assume would have to decide whether to adopt Scale Out Repository, and in which mode.

Thoughts?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Advice on additional storage

Post by PTide »

Hi,

What are you going to use that space for - backup copy jobs, new backup jobs, or just as an additional storage for the existing jobs? Another question - does the first server has some spare CPU an RAM? If not, then I'd probably go with an independent server.

Thanks
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

Re: Advice on additional storage

Post by gingerdazza »

We're short on space, and I want to extend our retention using GFS. Memory is OK on existing node - currently gets about as high as 30GB used out of 64GB available. CPU utilisation seems OK too.

I'm also considering converting our backups to per-VM files.