Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Safely deleting a VIB

Post by ChuckS42 »

I suspect that I have a backup file that is corrupt on my storage array (it's throwing odd errors, storage replication fails on it, and I can't even manually copy it to a different location). If my storage vendor cannot fix the problem without a lengthy outage, I may need to delete the backup file. It's on a Veeam B&R repository, written by the Veeam Agent for Windows.

What I think I should do is this: Manually delete the offending VIB file, force a repository rescan, then follow the instructions on removing a "missing" restore point here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95. I know it will also delete the rest of the backup chain; this is acceptable.

Is this safe? Am I completely nuts? Are those two things not mutually exclusive?

(Case 03066017, and I'm impatient for an answer.)
Veeaming since 2013
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Re: Safely deleting a VIB

Post by spiritie »

To be safe if I was you, I'd first run a "Full Backup" and then start messing with the backup chain.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Safely deleting a VIB

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Chuck.

It's not possible to safely remove the incremental backup file from backup chain for backup files made with Veeam Agent for Windows. If you delete a single .vib all dependent incremental restore points will become useless. To fix the problem I recommend to start a new backup chain (by performing an active full backup or moving existing backup chain to a different location). When old backup is no longer needed - you can delete the entire backup chain. Thanks.