Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
resqguy
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Richard Davis

Remote Site Repository

Post by resqguy »

My company's data protection policy calls for backups to be stored in an offsite location. It also calls for a DR at a remote site as well. I have addressed the 2nd requirement by setting up replication (SnapMirror) jobs with the NetApp.

My problem is with the Veeam backups. I need the ability to make application aware backups and store them offsite, along with the storage snapshots.

My first choice to address this was to setup Veeam backups to trigger SnapMirror jobs and back those up at my remote site. This is a supposed reference architecture but it just doesn't work. After months of troubleshooting and escalations I am still at square one. After all the work I have done on this my boss is about to full the plug on this effort.

My second choice was to set up Backup Copy jobs and use a proxy and repository at my remote site. This did work but even with WAN acceleration I couldn't get all the data copied within the time allotted. The SnapMirror jobs are the priority when it comes to allocating site to site bandwidth. It is hard to justify the cost of purchasing additional network bandwidth to copy the same data already replicated via SnapMirror.

My third option was to manually copy backup files from the main site to the remote site. I can get the files copied over but Veeam is unable to open the backup files in the remote location. The files will not import and must be copied back to the main site before you can do anything with them. My expectation is for Veeam to open and browse the backup files, then let you restore files from the remote location. That also doesn't work.

My backup and retention policy is this.
Daily Incrementals - keep 8 copies on primary site.
Weekend fulls - keep last full on primary, copy to remote site and keep 6 copies.
Last full of the month - replicated to remote site, keep 12 copies
Last full of the years - replicated to remote site, keep 7 copies

I'm curious what everyone is doing to have Veeam manage backups to a remote site. I'm thinking that if Veeam won't function with backing up files to a remote site, how would it work with a cloud based repository?
GregorD
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Gregor Duzic

Re: Remote Site Repository

Post by GregorD »

hi

backup copy jobs works, remote site repository should have as gateway and mount server a pc which is located on remote site, this will increase speed of merge jobs
first full , you have to do this, scheduler any time, if you want that backup copy dont get all of your bandwidth create network role.
if your full is too big to be copied to remote side you shuld set sync cycle to 30 days. so you have one month time to copied the first full. i need also 3 days for full
the best way is to bring first copied to remote site there are 6 steps to do it .
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Remote Site Repository

Post by foggy »

Hi Richard, what specifically didn't work in your case with backup from secondary storage? Do you have a case number to share? Thanks!