Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
OzMatman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mathew Tibbett

Backup change amount

Post by OzMatman »

Hi,

Very new to Veeam and currently trialing it. I have setup a new protection group to backup a virtual SQL cluster running on Server 2016. The protection group sees both nodes and the backup works fine. I can enter into the backup and see the SQL databases so happy days it seems.

This is where the question comes in. I have set the backup to run every hour, and each hour, even though nothing has changed in the databases (there are only pre-production Citrix site DBs), it is reporting :

Processed: 44.0GB
Read: 1.8GB
Transferred: 312.2MB

Looking at the details, 1.65GB of this comes from the C: of each of the cluster nodes. If it continues to backup 300MB every hour when things aren't changing, it is definitely going to get big when things start to change.

Is there an easy explanation for the size?

TIA,

Mat.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Backup change amount

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Just wanted to clarify is it physical or virtual machine, and is there any activity (deduplication for example) enabled for C: that could possibly cause blocks to change?

Thanks
OzMatman
Novice

Post by OzMatman »

It is a virtual workload with no dedupe turned on.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Ok, so you use Veeam Agent for Windows on a virtual workload. My assumption is that although the actual data being held in the database is static, Windows cluster might be performing some background activity on C drive (logging, defragmentation etc). On the other hand, 300MB/hour looks too much, indeed, so I would suggest you to contact our support team. Once you do please post your case ID here.

Thanks
OzMatman
Novice

Post by OzMatman »

Thanks - I logged a case a couple of days ago just in case. Case # 03069508