Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vertices
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

New vCenter Server - Old Veeam jobs?

Post by vertices »

We currently have Veeam and vCenter on the same server. We are setting up a new vCenter that will be a VM and act as a dedicated vCenter server. This will leave the Veeam server dedicated to Veeam. What will happen to our replication and backup jobs? When I attach the hosts to the new vCenter, is there any way to keep the backup and replication jobs or will I have to start completely over? It's the replication jobs I'm mostly worried about as they are a pain to get going again.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: New vCenter Server - Old Veeam jobs?

Post by Gostev »

Hi, unfortunately, you will have to re-create your jobs in this case. I see no alternatives here. Thanks.
jwaynejones
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jeremy Jones

Post by jwaynejones »

Gostev might need to clarify if this is possible, but I would think it would be plausible to backup the Veeam DB, move to a new Veeam server, move your vCenter to the new VM and have a hosts file (or DNS) entry for the original servername.
vertices
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Rob Miller

Post by vertices »

Thank you. I had a feeling that was the answer. I'll just recreate.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

jwaynejones wrote:Gostev might need to clarify if this is possible, but I would think it would be plausible to backup the Veeam DB, move to a new Veeam server, move your vCenter to the new VM and have a hosts file (or DNS) entry for the original servername.
Yes, this is my typical suggestion for simple vCenter server moves. However, in this case everything is complicated by the fact that the original server is not being decomissioned, it is there to stay, and moreover it runs actual Veeam Backup server. Otherwise, moving DB to the new vCenter and updating the hosts file on backup server would be the way to go. Thanks.
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

Just replaced one vcenter with a new vcenter. After we created the new VC we could not run the new jobs. Our license count was exceeded, same ESX servers but new VC. I delete the old VC from Veeam but all the jobs and backups went with it ( we had them on tape and re-imported them ) - I removed the license first but the jobs failed anyway so I removed the VC, which did fix every thing but the jobs and data were gone. The worst part of recreating the jobs is entering the VSS user and password 100 times. We are at Veeam 4.1 still, 5 next month. I didn't call for help so there might be an easy fix but with a VC down that was what we needed fix first.