Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
Jestr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jacob Estrin

Restore to an iSCSI Boot Drive

Post by Jestr »

Hi All,

I have a unique situation where I am using Veeam Agent for Linux to run a P2P migration between physical servers. The new Physical server is a Cisco UCS B-Series Blade with iSCSI boot storage (no local storage).

my question is, can I do a bare metal restore using the recovery iso that will access, mount and restore a backup to these iSCSCI targets? If so, does anyone have any helpful hints on how to do this.

Thanks,
Jestr
Novice

Re: Restore to an iSCSI Boot Drive

Post by Jestr »

Hi,

An update to this. the issue is installing the correct storage driver. To do this, does anyone know what format the drivers need to be in when running the command "veeamconfig config patchiso --efi --input <input_path> --output <output_path> -copy <additional_path>".

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

It should be .ko file. The easiest way would be to install the required driver onto the original system and use that system to create custom recovery media. That way the driver that you installed would be injected into the recovery media.

Thanks
Jestr
Novice

Post by Jestr »

Thanks for that. This makes sense now and I am over the driver hurdle.

The problem is, the drives are still not available because I need to mount them with iSCSI. The issue is that this is not loaded onto the Veeam Recovery ISO - putting me in a tough place.

Is there an easy way to do this, or at least a step by step document on how to handle this?

Thanks,
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

The workaround would be to take some liveCD distro that has required iSCSI tools, boot from it, connect to iSCSI LUN, start VAL and use recovery UI from there. You can reach our support team so they will provide you with directions. Please also keep in mind that after restore you'll need to modify your grub and initrd so that it will be able to connect to iscsi target.

Thanks