Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
archonnn
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: IOANNIS ARCHONTIDIS

Veeam Agent started new backup chain when it shouldn't

Post by archonnn »

Hello everyone,

I'm posting this issue here, because it stumbled me. I'm probably doing something wrong for this, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction?
We have a client set up with Veeam Agent for Windows 2.1. The clients configuration for backup is create an Entire Machine Synthetic Full Backup every Sunday, and everyday incrementals at night on a cloud connect repository. Retention policy is set at 1 restore point, so naturally, every Sunday the whole previous chain is deleted. The client messed up his active directory user profile settings, so he had to manually delete all his user files, remove all users and recreate them from scratch. This happened on Monday. After the creation of every user, Veeam Agent scheduled to run at night, created a whole new huge vbk (10 gigs smaller than the previous one) and deleted the .vbk created on Sunday. Quota was never exceeded on the Cloud Connect repository. However, there is no setting in place for a .vbk to be created on a Tuesday. The client wants to restore some files (his AppData directories that was removed and reinstalled in the same place during the whole user recreation procedure) from his Sunday backup but the backup is deleted now for no obvious reason. Can someone explain why this may have happened?

Thank you in advance, :D
archonnn
Service Provider

Re: Veeam Agent started new backup chain when it shouldn't

Post by archonnn »

***Update***

I need to restore the files from the deleted .vbk file. I placed it back to the clients directory on the veeam Cloud Connect Server from the Recycle bin but the file level restore wizard doesn't see it. What must I do?
Tnjus
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Thomas M Njus

Post by Tnjus »

Did you re-scan the repository after you recovered the .vbk?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello archonnn.

Debug log is required, so please open a support case and share the case Id in this thread. Thank you.
archonnn
Service Provider

Post by archonnn »

Hello Dima.

Case ID is #03075120.

Thank you :)
archonnn
Service Provider

Post by archonnn »

Tnjus wrote:Did you re-scan the repository after you recovered the .vbk?
Yes, I did. After speaking with Veeam support it is clear to me that you can't restore a standalone .vbk file with veeam agent alone. You need the VBR console to do such a thing. The only thing conscerning me now, is why the chain was deleted one day after it was created and a new one started.