Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ccrichard
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Yamauchi

FLR Vm's are not going away

Post by ccrichard »

I tried running File Level Recovery and now the FLR_VMs are still hanging around. Is this a problem? Is there a safe way to get rid of them?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: FLR Vm's are not going away

Post by Gostev »

What do you mean they are hanging around?
ccrichard
Enthusiast

Post by ccrichard »

After I closed the Window for the File Lever Recovery on the backup Server, the vms for the FLR remained on in vcenter.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sorry, I still do not understand what are you saying.
ccrichard
Enthusiast

Post by ccrichard »

When I started FIle Level Recovery for Other OS (Suse Linux Enterprise 10 with Novell OES2) it made a VM so I can copy files. However, the partition table was corrupt on one vmdk and the other VMDK has nss so Veeam could not read it directly that way. So, I closed the "window" for the FIle Level Recovery in the Veeam Server, but I still have 2 vms in VCENTER running that are called VeeamFLR_SLES 10 OES2sp3_16fb0395-cd3e-43b2-b0fd-99453066f77c
and the other is called VeeamFLR_SLES 10 OES2sp3_3ea8c2fe-f6dc-4582-82b4-b40ef6dc5118. They are vms running in my vcenter. They are not appearing to hurt anything, but they are not doing anything. They are running of a Veeam NFS share.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Oh, I understand now, thanks for the detailed explanation. I can guess that this can be caused by improper handling of FLR sessions which terminate with error (possible bug). To confirm this, would you please open a support case and let our technical staff take a look at the issue in live? Thanks.
kurt
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Robert

Post by kurt »

I have this same problem. I just ran the FLR Other OS wizard twice. One of the FLR VM's is still there even after closing the window and veeam. The other one went away fine. Is it safe to delete the VM or what is the proper way to get rid of it?
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Robert, please also open a support case. From my side, I will ask QC directly, about this behaviour. Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it is safe to delete this VM. Make sure you are not confusing this VM with SureBackup virtual lab proxy VM though. Thanks.
kurt
Enthusiast

Post by kurt »

FYI: I powered off the FLR VM and deleted it. The next backup failed, Reason:

Details
Publishing catalog session
PrepStorageForWriteEx failed '\\server\Backup\veeamUSB\Backup2011-04-08T234539.vbk'
Client error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
Failed to create or open file [\\server\Backup\veeamUSB\Backup2011-04-08T234539.vbk].

I rebooted the VM that veeam is installed on and then retry backup and it was successful.
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Some process has put a lock on that .vbk file - it's very hard to guess which one. Could be even antivirus. Reboot helped because lock tables were cleaned. But still the reason is not because you deleted those VMs.
kurt
Enthusiast

Post by kurt »

My thinking is that the veeam application possibly still had a lock on the backup file since it didn't properly remove the VM after my FLR restore. This is the first time I had the issue so I think that could of been the cause. My AV software is set to ignore the backup folder.
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

If that behaviour persists please contact our support - they will investigate whether this lock is caused by B&R. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

If it was Veeam lock, the error would clearly explain what process is locking the file (such as "File Level Restore"). This one looks to be from outside process. Maybe rsync, file copy, NAS file sync, or something like this. If it was local storage, I would try using Process Monitor, but the fact that backup is located on a share makes it more complicated to find what has it locked.
kurt
Enthusiast

Post by kurt »

It still have this problem in version 5.0.2.230 64 bit when I use the Guest File Restore (other OS). I was trying to restore files from an NTFS GPT partition. The veeamFLR VM doesn't go away after I close the session.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Please contact our support - they will investigate whether this lock is caused by B&R. Thanks!
kurt
Enthusiast

Post by kurt »

kurt wrote:FYI: I powered off the FLR VM and deleted it. The next backup failed, Reason:

Details
Publishing catalog session
PrepStorageForWriteEx failed '\\server\Backup\veeamUSB\Backup2011-04-08T234539.vbk'
Client error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
Failed to create or open file [\\server\Backup\veeamUSB\Backup2011-04-08T234539.vbk].

I rebooted the VM that veeam is installed on and then retry backup and it was successful.

Well I got the same failed backup after the FLR VM wasn't removed. Even though I deleted it, the backup failed with the above error. Now I am convinced that was the cause.

I would open a support ticket but I'm very busy and I rarely use this feature plus it didn't work with my GPT partition anyway.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, no problems. If anyone else is having this issue, please let open a support case and let us investigate as we are unable to reproduce this issue internally. Thanks!
brownie79
Novice
Full Name: Daniel Brown

Post by brownie79 »

I'm having the same issue and have raised a support ticket #5140974