Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KSchissler
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Karl Schissler

Veeam Job - Inclusion behavior confirmation

Post by KSchissler »

Ran into something interesting with specific "Include" one of our Veeam jobs, which prompted me to ask this question in the forum:
We have a Windows VM with 2 disks (C: and D:) being backed up in a Veeam job with some other Windows servers.
- In the Virtual Machines tab, it is configured for *All disks* (aka no exclusions)
- In the Guest Processing tab, "Enable application-aware processing" is selected
- In Application-aware Processing Options, Exclusions are *Enabled* for this VM
- In Processing Settings, at the File Exclusions tab, we have selected "Include only the following files and folders:" and have picked 2 folders to include. D:\Folder1 and D:\Folder2
- Job runs as expected. However at some point, someone deleted D:\Folder1, and renamed D:\Folder2 to D:\Folder2-New

The job now backs up the entire D: drive. I would like to know if this is expected behavior.
My assumption is that since Veeam can no longer find these 2 folders that I explicitly included, that it reverts back to the Virtual Machines tab setting, which states to back up *All disks*
Am I correct?

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam Job - Inclusion behavior confirmation

Post by PTide »

Hi, nice to see new members coming here! :)

Yes, it is specifically designed to work that way. If none folders were found because someone accidentally renamed them folder it would be better having some redundant data in the backup than having nothing at all.

Thanks
KSchissler
Novice

Post by KSchissler »

Thanks PTide! Hopefully I can get rid of my "lurker" status soon... ha...
Interesting results though. I fixed my inclusions on the job, setting one inclusion for a folder that was indeed present, and also used wild cards for a second inclusion - D:\*files* which I'm hoping will back up all folders on the D: drive with "files" in the name. The result was that it still backed up the whole drive.
Not sure what to think now. :(
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

The result was that it still backed up the whole drive.
That might be a bug, kindly contact support team so they can investigate. Once you do, please post your case ID in this thread.

P.S. "lurker" status is replaced with when you get 100 posts on this forum

Thanks
KSchissler
Novice

Post by KSchissler »

Ok, I checked again, and found that it actually wasnt backing up the whole drive.
In the restore browser, it looks like the entire folder structure is presented, but only the folders that I had specifically included in the job had files that I could restore.
A folder that wasn't specified in my job inclusions would show up with no files listed.

So, bottom line, it appears that the job inclusions work, you just end up seeing the entire folder structure, not just the folders you specified to include in the job.