Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
abradanini
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alessandro Bradanini

Survive at a SAN failure

Post by abradanini »

I am developing a virtualization project with vSphere with 3 hosts and a (single) shared storage with SAS interface. My initial backup solution was Veeam B&R in a VM, Virtual Appliance mode and same shared storage as backup destination; then copy bakup files to tape as offsite backup. But I have a doubt: and if the shared storage fails? I can't quickly restore my VMs.

What is best DR solution for small business?
Install Veeam on a physical server with local storage? In this environment I can run VM directly from backup if SAN fails?

And to install Veeam on a VM that resides on local disks of a ESXi host, could it work? If the SAN dies I can run VMs from bakup files?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Survive at a SAN failure

Post by Gostev »

abradanini wrote:And to install Veeam on a VM that resides on local disks of a ESXi host, could it work? If the SAN dies I can run VMs from bakup files?
This might be good idea. In fact, Justin Paul had just posted similar suggestion of using instant VM recovery as a SAN replacement in his blog post yesterday.
jgremillion
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Gremillion

Post by jgremillion »

I actually had this happen to me, except on a larger scale. All of my Veeam Consoles servers are physical and the data was being dumped to a SAN luns (attached to the local box) and I taped the contents weekly. Fortunately when the SAN failed, most of the backups survived. The rest I imported from tape.

I have a meeting with HP on Monday and with Exagrid on Tuesday. :)
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry »

I use veeam to replicicat all my SAN VMs to local ESX drives every night, if the san failed I just run them off the local disk.