Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rteglgaa
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Rasmus Teglgaard

VCSA 6.7 question: Migration Tool

Post by rteglgaa »

Hi,

I've created a ticket for this as well, but just wanted to check with Veeam users as well...

Is this tool necessary when upgrading from VCSA 6.5 to VCSA 6.7?:

https://www.veeam.com/kb2136

I'm asking because it appears the VCSA 6.7 upgrade is actually a new install/migration of sorts.

/Rasmus
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: VCSA 6.7 question: Migration Tool

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Rasmus,

According to the information I've found the migration tool isn't necessary in this case, since VCSA upgrade from 6.5 to 6.7 will preserve all the data.
Anyway it's recommended to backup the VCSA server before the migration. Thanks!
rteglgaa
Influencer

Post by rteglgaa »

Problem is... the documentation for the migration Tool says that you must not perform a backup until the tool has been run - otherwise you'll destroy your whole backup set. In other words: I need to be 100% sure of the fact that it's not necessary. The Veeam support just responded to my ticket btw, and said this:

"Yes, if you would like to keep the RefID of the VMs the same you need to use our Migration Utility.
Please let us know if there are any questions left."

It seems like a VERY important thing to be sure of before upgrading, so I'm very supprised info about this isn't included in the release notes or something.

/Rasmus
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

I do understand your worries, so I had a brief conversation with the QA team just to confirm the information.
The upgrade should preserve all the information to continue the backup process, that is what they said based on our experience and VMware documentation.
Also, I've found the recent discussion about the upgrade from 6.0 to 6.5 VCSA which follows the same process as an upgrade to 6.7. Thanks!
rteglgaa
Influencer

Post by rteglgaa »

Thanks for the info. Just to be sure, I've created a support case with VMware so find out if the MoRef ID's are preserved. Will post the answer here, once I get it.
rteglgaa
Influencer

Post by rteglgaa » 3 people like this post

VMware just responded:

"MoRef or Managed Object Reference IDs of objects do not change until the object is unregistered or destroyed from the vcenter server. Hence upgrading vCenter server will save and carry all the vcenter server configuration data and also does not change MoRef of VMs running in the vcenter server."

So no need for the migration utility it seems :)
xh63
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Han

Post by xh63 »

Hi rteglgaa, did you have a success of upgrading your vcsa from 6.5 to 6.7? Did moRef change? Any drama? It would be nice to know which article you followed to upgrade the vcsa 6.5 to 6.7. Millions of thanks in advance.
rteglgaa
Influencer

Post by rteglgaa » 1 person likes this post

Yeah, I can't really remember how I went about it anymore, but it succeeded without issues, so you should be able to proceed.

/Rasmus