Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
eliripoll
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: neftali ripoll

Free Version BDR incremental

Post by eliripoll »

Hello New to the forums,

My questions is regarding incremental backups / synthetic full backups. according to the comparison chart found here
https://www.veeam.com/backup-version-st ... rison.html
it mentions that incremental and synthetic backups are supported on the free version. but when I do a backup (in the free its called file copy) the first backup of the VM takes the expected time. but when I run another backup on the vm that hasn't change 5 min later , it takes the same amount of time to backup up. when I check statistics as it runs , it also shows that it transfers the same amount of data. which I thought was odd, even the built in windows servers backup when the storage target is local only transfers just the data needed.

I found this previous post that mentions that the free version only supports full backups
https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-r ... 42362.html

I was wondering if someone could share what I am missing, based on the comparison doc I would expect subsequent backups to be shorter especially in a VM that hasn't change. in the Free BDR version there isn't much option but maybe I missed something. I also tested this in the windows agent version and that works as expected. Any information would be appreciated thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Free Version BDR incremental

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Welcome to the community forums!

The edition you're referring to does not mention FREE version, it states the difference between 3 paid editions of Veeam B&R. This is the link that describes the capabilities of Veeam Backup Free Edition. As to your question, then your second link describes it correctly. To run incremental backups, paid edition is required.

On a side note, please note that file copy jobs are intended to be used for copying files rather than backing up VMs. Here is a brief description of all job types available.

Thank you!