Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
aich365
Service Provider
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Clive Harris

Tape backup failing with account issues

Post by aich365 »

We have a tape job that has been running for 18 months without a problem.
Last week it started failing but Veeam was still reporting "Success" - closer inspection showed no data had been copied
09/07/2018 16:00:29 :: Backup completed successfully
09/07/2018 16:08:57 :: 0 directories and 0 files backed up

The error reported is
09/07/2018 16:00:29 :: Volume \\nas\veeambackup has 7114 problems.
Details: The account is not authorized to log in from this station.

No details have been changed so it was a surprise when this started failing

Support advised updating to Veaam 9.5.3a which I have done but it still fails
Unfortunately the logs do not advise which account has failed or which station is causing the issue.

I have a call open with Veeam but we're not making any progress.

Thanks
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Re: Tape backup failing with account issues

Post by csydas »

Hey Clive,

I think the logs show the account used for whatever on the first few lines. Veeam Support showed me it awhile back when we had an issue with a service not starting, and I'm guessing it's the SYSTEM account on your machine. Check that it has permissions or try it with a different account just for the heck of it. At worst, you have to change it back ;)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

So, in other words, the status was all green and successful, whereas the session log contained a clear definition of the error: 09/07/2018 16:00:29 ::Details: The account is not authorized to log in from this station.

If so, then, first of all, you really should escalate the case as the error that you see and the status of the job simply do not correspond.
Also please provide some details about the NAS that you're trying to backup - is it a Windows share, have you tried to look up for a similar error messages there?

Thanks
aich365
Service Provider

Post by aich365 »

Hi
I cannot see where to change the account used by the Tape job.
It is not showing when editing the job or any parts of the Tape Infrastructure.
It also doesn't explain why it has been working for 18 months and has then failed
I can still scan and access the repository (Netgear NAS) and normal backups run OK

Veeam cannot help until 19:00 today.
Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

I cannot see where to change the account used by the Tape job.
It is not showing when editing the job or any parts of the Tape Infrastructure.
You need to go to "Files and Folders" step, and re-add the UNC path. Please see this user guide page:
To back up files from a CIFS shared folder, click Add and specify the folder path. After you click OK, you will be prompted to enter the shared folder credentials.
You can also see the whole list of available credentials in Credentials Manager.

It also doesn't explain why it has been working for 18 months and has then failed
The error wording itself gives me an idea that you should check logs on the NAS:
The account is not authorized to log in from this station.
My guess is that some security policy might have changed on the NAS, so that the account and/or the machine holding a role of a tape server is not allowed to access the share anymore. That is, the credentials might be totally fine, it's the machine that is not allowed to access the share.
I can still scan and access the repository (Netgear NAS) and normal backups run OK
Is there any chance that rescans are performed from another server (the one that you've specified to serve as a gateway for that repository)?

Thanks
aich365
Service Provider

Post by aich365 »

I have added the NAS to the Domain and the job still fails
I have used the NAS credentials with FQDN (NASNAME\USER) and the job still fails.
I have checked file permissions on the NAS and they are set to Read/Write.

The original job still fails.

I have created a new job and the backup runs, so the permissions are setup correctly but somewhere in Veeam it looks like it has its credentials wires crossed.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

I have created a new job and the backup runs, so the permissions are setup correctly but somewhere in Veeam it looks like it has its credentials wires crossed.
That's interesting! In this case I suggest you to escalate the support case.

Thank you