Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
doalwa
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dominik Wagner

"Cyclic redundancy check" B&R 9.5.0.1922

Post by doalwa »

Hi,

I'm having issues with the backup of three virtual machines using Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 on a HyperV 2012 R2 failover cluster.

The backup of those three vms, a mix of Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2 standard, quits with the following error:

Code: Select all

09.07.2018 20:00:43 :: Processing Servername Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
Failed to read data from the file [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\CSV{1065ab92-a96e-4ee9-b2e1-9c1d908ae407}\Servername\Servername_d.vhdx].
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

From what I've gathered this error points to problems with the underlying storage, and indeed, the Dell MD3200i SAN which acts as storage for our VMs marked one 300GB disc as failed and marked another one as an imminent failure.

We swapped both disks out yesterday and the rebuild of our three volumes finished succesfully.

The cyclic redundancy error unfortunately persisted through all of this.

The virtual servers in question seem to work without a hitch.

Any ideas what I could to to remedy this error? I was thinking about recreating the virtual volumes on the SAN and moving the affected VMs to this new volume.

Thanks in advance,
Dominik
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: "Cyclic redundancy check" B&R 9.5.0.1922

Post by Gostev »

doalwa wrote:The virtual servers in question seem to work without a hitch.
Sure, they will work fine, but only until the operating system or an application needs to read some data from the impacted VHDX blocks... backup are always the first to uncover issues with primary storage, specifically because it needs to read all virtual disk blocks, and not just some of those.