Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
doggatas
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David O

Source Backup Processing

Post by doggatas »

I am re-configuring our primary backup jobs, basically starting out from scratch. My hypothesised configuration/schedule.

All primary jobs:
  • Forward Incremental with Active Fulls on Saturday
  • 8 Restore points (understand there will be 14 RP's at certain times)
Backup Copy jobs - GFS:
  • Primary Jobs as source
  • Targets repositories are in a different datacenter than primary jobs repository
  • 31 Restore points (basically a months worth of daily restore points)
  • 4 Monthly Restore points (based on how the 31 restore points above work with GFS, I'll technically have 5 end of month restore points on disk)
  • 1 End of year restore points
Tape jobs - GFS:
  • Primary Jobs as source
  • LTO7 Dual Drive Robotic Library
  • Last day of Month - Synthetic operations - take forever - only uses one drive
  • Kept indefinitely
Tape jobs - Daily:
  • Primary Jobs as source
  • LTO7 Dual Drive Robotic Library
  • 20 Week Retention
This is the part I need help with. I am moving away from Forward Forever Incremental in the primary source jobs mainly to get away from having to synthesise full backups to tape - this takes all weekend and sometimes more. What settings do I need to have in the tape job (specifically in the Full Backup>Schedule section) to ensure the Full Backup from Saturday is simply copied to tape and the incremental from Sun-Fri are also copied?

Thanks and regards,
David
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Source Backup Processing

Post by PTide »

Hi,

The "schedule" button on the "full backup" step is specifically for virtual fulls. You don't have to touch that in case you have intermediate fulls in your source chain, virtual fulls will be disabled automatically. That is, simply let the tape job run on a daily basis and make sure that you have checked the option to copy incremental backups.

Thanks
doggatas
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David O

Re: Source Backup Processing

Post by doggatas »

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.