Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
svetecs
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Stan Svetec

Existing Job vs New Job

Post by svetecs »

Hi,
I have a server sitting on a Hyper-V Cluster. I have a VeeaM job which points to the cluster to do it's backup. However, VeeaM constantly fails with:

Error: Job failed ('Failed to get the disk information. Failed to open attachment '\\fileserver\disk.vhdx'. Error: 'The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.'.'). Error code: '32774'. Failed to get information about vhd disk '\\fileserver\disk.vhdx'. Failed to get shared disks extents Failed to enumerate VM disks. Failed to get informa

Other VM's within the Cluster backup fine, regardless of if they're 2012, 2012 R2 or 2016.

So I create a new job, and directly backup the VM (selecting the actual VM, not via the Cluster object). This runs without error.

Within the cluster, there are around 5 VM's exhibiting this behaviour.

What do I need to do to get VeeaM to process these VM's correctly?

Regards
ahillyer
Lurker

Re: Existing Job vs New Job

Post by ahillyer »

I'm getting the exact same issue. Single VM in the cluster is failing to back-up. Separating it out in to its own job it works. I can't exclude it from the cluster object backups either.

Did you ever find a resolution to this issue? I'm running v9.5.0.1536.
ahillyer
Lurker

Re: Existing Job vs New Job

Post by ahillyer »

I've found and resolved the issue for my case.

We had a duplicate of the VM sitting in Hyper-V, created earlier than the production VM (presumably as a test), that was still pointing to the same VHDX the production VM was using.
Removing the disks from this duplicate VM fixed the issue.