Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pstoric83
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Storic

Question regarding ransomware protection feature

Post by pstoric83 »

It shows it will eject an external drive after backup completion but does that mean I will need to physically disconnect then re-connect that external drive again so the next daily backup can run? Not sure how that works exactly.
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: Question regarding ransomware protection feature

Post by nitramd » 2 people like this post

Paul,

The Windows machine should unmount the USB drive. You will have to then have to remove the cable then plug it back in for the OS to recognize it.

As an experiment, I plugged in a USB thumb drive into my Win10 PC. I ejected it (leaving it in the USB slot) then went to the device manager and performed a "Scan for hardware changes". But, alas, the thumb drive was not detected.

Hope this helps.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

does that mean I will need to physically disconnect then re-connect that external drive again so the next daily backup can run
That's true. VAW can unmount the USB device but user must manually connect it back for the next job run.
pstoric83
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Storic

Post by pstoric83 »

Thanks for clearing that up!
Nick-SAC
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Nick

Post by Nick-SAC » 1 person likes this post

Or, if it must be done remotely, just restart the system that has the External/Removable drive. Not elegant or always practical (especially, in the case of a Server) but it works...