Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
esassaman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Sassaman

Remove last incremental?

Post by esassaman »

I mistakenly backed up a huge amount of data (~500GB) in my last incremental backup that I really, really did not want to back up. Some gigantic temp files. As a result the .vib file is essentially wasting a big chunck of storage space on my Synology server where I'm backing up to (SMB share). Is there a clean way to remove just that latest restore point? Will my next incremental realize that all the "good" files are no longer backed up and pick them up in the next incremental? I've read a lot about the dangers of just zapping restore points in the middle of a chain and I understand the dangers. Don't want that.

Alternatively, I could zap the last chain from the most recent full backup on and just start another full backup, that would be fine.

My current situation is that I am doing an active full backup once a month. I only have one full backup with a bunch of incrementals following that, then another full backup done recently with 3 incremental .vib backups after that, so zapping either the last incremental or the entire last chain would be fine, if possible.
esassaman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Sassaman

Re: Remove last incremental?

Post by esassaman »

I apologize for not reading the documentation closer, the answer was right in there :) Kinda buried, but I found it. I deleted the last backup chain and as documented, the next scheduled backup was done as a full backup to start a new chain. Success! I'm a bit confused as to why the backup is still in the Veeam Agent control panel, and just for fun I clicked the "restore files" button (it is a Volume level backup) and when the Backup Browser came up I got an error "some errors occurred. See log files for additional info". After some searching and digging I found a log file (buried in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Endpoint\FLRSessions\Windows) with an error:

Opening storage [\\<my server>\Backup\Backup Job xyz\Backup Job xyz2018-07-10T022205.vib] in read-only mode. Failed.

Which makes perfect sense since of course it is not there, that's the one I deleted.

I guess it makes sense that the deleted backup still shows up in the list of restore points... if those missing files were to, say, suddenly re-appear, everything would be fine. Doesn't look like a problem to me, since I was able to open up the full backup created after the manual deletion with no problems, so I'm good.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Remove last incremental?

Post by Dima P. »

I'm a bit confused as to why the backup is still in the Veeam Agent control panel
If you manually delete backup files from disk VAW knows nothing about it. Control panel represents the backup history for the past 7 days. Older sessions are pushed away by newer backup sessions, so if you run backup every day - just wait for 7 days.