PowerShell script exchange
tleanna
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Troy Leanna

Determine next job backup type - Full or Incremental

Post by tleanna »

I have written a series of scripts to run a series of jobs in succession based upon the following:

1) If the job in Enabled
2) If the ActiveFullDay is the current day
3) If the job is run Daily

... all sorted by TotalUsedSize

The situation that I am having is that I want to make sure all Full jobs are running first before any Incremental Jobs, but sometimes the TotalUsedSize of some of our servers which is running an Incremental backup is larger than some of our servers which will be running a Full backup...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Determine next job backup type - Full or Incremental

Post by foggy »

Hi Troy, what is the reason for such setup, do you have a limited backup window? How many jobs, VMs and proxies do you have and how many concurrent tasks are they capable of?
tleanna
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Troy Leanna

Post by tleanna »

Our original backup window started at 3pm and continued until 7am... Of course this was not a constant window based upon job details (Full/Inc/Daily/Weekly/Monthly/etc), but that is what we started with...

We are adding a DRaaS provider and my task was to come up with a more effective way to manage our backup process so that our replication window is larger than from 7am to 3pm... I have been able to drive this down with my script and maybe I am doing it right but my reporting is stating something else... For example, I have the jobs spread across 6 proxy server, running against 2 local repositories (maybe 65/35 split). After my script figures out the logic and creates the script files to run starting at 7pm, the report that I generate does not seem to jive with what is running. I assume that all jobs on the ActiveFullDay should be Full (hence the name), but I get some that come back a Incremental...

I am using this line of code to get the last job that I ran

Get-VBRBackupSession | Where {$_.jobId -eq $currentBackup.Id.Guid} | Sort EndTimeUTC -Descending | Select -First 1

Sometimes I get this:

7:58:21 PM ::: Backup job XXXX-XXX-XX (Full) finished with the result of Success
8:05:34 PM ::: Backup job XX-XXXXXXX-XXX (Incremental) finished with the result of Success

According to the ActiveFullDay, both have the same day as the value, but I get different results....
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I can only come up with two explanations:

1. The script takes previous session - the incremental session that happened yesterday or even before
2. The job has already created a full backup this day. It's the second (or whatever) times the job gets executed, thus, it runs in incremental mode

Thanks.