Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Derry43
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Derry Birse

NTFS permissions with File to Tape Backups and Restores

Post by Derry43 »

I appear to be having an issue with the preservation of file and folder security (NTFS permissions/ACLs) when using File from Tape Restore. I have seen plenty of discussions on preservation of permissions under various topics in this forum, but not sure I have seen the same issue.

I have a file structure on a managed Windows server, with a drive G: containing three nested folders (TOP, MIDDLE and BOTTOM), where MIDDLE and BOTTOM each contain a single file. As can be seen, the folder TOP is immediately below the root of the associated file system.

Code: Select all

G:
  \TOP
      \MIDDLE
             file1.txt
             \BOTTOM
                    file2.txt
Aside from the permissions inherited from the root, the folder TOP has three domain groups (GROUP1, GROUP2 and GROUP3) that have modify access. The folder MIDDLE has only two groups (GROUP2 and GROUP3) that have modify access and the folder BOTTOM only has one group (GROUP3) that has modify access. The files inherit the permissions on their respective folders.

I successfully backed up the folder TOP (and all of it's sub folders and files) using File to Tape Backup.

When I restore the folder TOP to the C:\Temp folder of the same managed windows server and select both "Preserve folder hierarchy" and "Restore file and folder security", I would expect that the restored permissions would be exactly the same. However, the folder TOP now only contains inherited permissions, the folder MIDDLE only contains inherited permissions, but the folder BOTTOM and the files file1.txt and file2.txt have the correct permissions:

file1.txt - inherited permissions + GROUP2/GROUP3 with modify permissions
BOTTOM and file2.txt - inherited permissions + GROUP3 with modify permissions

Anyone got any ideas as to why the folder TOP and MIDDLE do not appear to retain the correct permissions when restored.
Derry43
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Derry Birse

Re: NTFS permissions with File to Tape Backups and Restores

Post by Derry43 »

Please ignore the above post as it was obvious really, I had only selected a folder further down the tree to restore, not the root. The rest of the tree was simply created as part of the restore, but was not actually restored (created because I had asked to "Preserve folder hierarchy"). Everything below the folder I had actually restored did indeed have the correct permissions applied.

QED :oops: