Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Object properties collection task / schedule

Post by ChrisGundry »

Hi,

We have an issue where new VMs are created dynamically and fall into certain business views. These are Citrix VDA VMs which are dynamically created/destroyed as needed. We also have replica VMs and test VMs that sometimes fall into the same category.

These VMs are in a business view maybe called 'Citrix VDA servers'. The VMs might be put into this view based in their name being 'CTXDAxxx'.

We have VeeamOne setup to ignore/exclude various things like 'no backups for VM' based on a VMs membership of these business views.

The problem is that when a new VM is created the VM is not show in the correct business view until the Object properties collection task runs again. It seems that the most frequent that we can run the Object properties collection task schedule is every 3 hours. Is there a reason for that? We would like it to run every 30 minutes or so to minimise the amount of time these VMs show on our VeeamOne dashboard as 'faulty'.

We have various other exlusions based on VM folders, but there are certain ones which make more sense as dynamic based on names etc. which is not possible with folders and only with business views. Or there is a folder where some VMs in it need monitoring and some do not. So we can't exclude based on VM folders.

So:
1. Is there a reason why the schedule only goes down to every 3 hours?
2. Is there any other way around our issue?
3. If not, can we request a more frequent task schedule?

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Object properties collection task / schedule

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Chris,

Indeed the categorization takes some time now. That's because Business View uses a separate data collection engine. In the upcoming version of Veeam ONE we are planning to introduce a new version of Business View that will now be part of Veeam ONE Monitor (as opposed to being a separate application). This would allow us to feed new data quickly to all reports and views that are using Business View groups.

Meanwhile, let me check with the dev team if it is possible to make the Object properties collection task run faster. I will post back as soon as I have more info.

Thanks!
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Post by ChrisGundry »

Thanks Nikita, I look forward to a new version and your response on faster running of the job if possible.

An alternative option in my mind would be to also have the option to retry data collection if it fails. Every time we retry the job it completes without failure.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

There are automatic retries which take place if collection is failed. Manual retry does same job as automatic.
An alternative option in my mind would be to also have the option to retry data collection if it fails. Every time we retry the job it completes without failure.
Have not understood what alternative option do you mean. Could you elaborate? As you mentioned above there is an option to run collection job manually.