Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Veeam Agent for Windows (Workstation) on Server

Post by Mgamerz »

I am enjoying normal Veeam's B&R synthetic full. It saves a lot of bandwidth doing offsite replication. I currently also back up 4 endpoints, 3 of which are windows client systems, and another that is actually a partition on the backup server it self - I am backing up the database for another backup product we use for clients. After shutting down that service on a script, I back it up using the free endpoint agent. I am looking into getting the workstation edition licenses.

Since I am not using any of the server features for this, but really just want the synthetic full - is this an allowable use case for workstation edition? I am not sure if there are limitations on workstation must be on client windows and server must be on server edition. Veeam's main console and server are already on this server. I could do a file copy job, but it doens't really do incrementals and definitely won't do synthetic full. (This database I do not want to backup using veeam's SQL features - it is purely a file backup when the services are stopped once a week. It is not MSSQL.)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows (Workstation) on Server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's fully supported and allowable. Workstation mode can be run on any OS (client or server-based), the same applies to the server mode of the Agent job.
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Re: Veeam Agent for Windows (Workstation) on Server

Post by Mgamerz »

Ah I see. Thanks!