How to keep 3rd copy out-of-band at 10Gbps

Post by electricd7 »

Hello,

I am working on coming up with a solution for the following scenario:

- 160TB of backups onsite (700ish Vms)
- 10Gbps connectivity between VMware and Veeam/Veeam Repos
- 160TB of backup-copy offsite
- 1Gbps connectivity between onsite/offsite repos
- Forward incremental, with corresponding backup-copy-job for each Job to keep data synced

What I am trying to accomplish is setting up a 3rd copy of this data out-of-band to protect the backup set from some sort of inside-hacker/cryptolocker/etc. I am thinking about Cloud Connect and sending all the jobs to a cloud repo, but I am trying to wrap my head around how to do this at 10Gbps and if its possibly to copy the data from the offsite repos to the cloud repo at the offsite location to eliminate the draw on production to do this and to keep the normal backup cycle running. I am just getting started on this idea, so any help would be appreciated. Are any of you doing something similar?

ED7
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Re: How to keep 3rd copy out-of-band at 10Gbps

Post by PTide »

Hi,
but I am trying to wrap my head around how to do this at 10Gbps and if its possibly to copy the data from the offsite repos to the cloud repo at the offsite location to eliminate the draw on production to do this and to keep the normal backup cycle running.
Not as if I was pretending to be K.O., but if you want to do that over 10Gb then there should be a 10Gb between the 2nd repo and the Cloud Gateway. :) Well, jokes aside, would you clarify the "10Gbit" part of the question, please?

You can setup another backup copy job so that it will use the 1st backup copy job backup chain as a source, and target the 2nd BCJ to the Cloud Repo. Please keep in mind that if an attacker takes over your infrstructure, he can still corrupt your data and run backup jobs several times so the good copies of backups will be overwritten. Please check this thread for some considerations regarding the subject.

Thanks