Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ddockter
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Doug Dockter

Disk Signature Error

Post by ddockter »

I received the following message during a weekend backup - "The disk signature of disk 23 is equal to the disk signature of disk 0". I realize this is being caused because my Veeam Backup VM and the VM being backed up were deployed from the same template. Do I need to be concerned about the error? Will the VM be backed up OK?
Alexey D.

Re: Disk Signature Error

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Doug,

The thread starting from this post may be helpful for you.
ddockter
Enthusiast
Full Name: Doug Dockter

Post by ddockter »

I had looked at that post previously. It seems the error message is just informational. I did try to use MBRWIZ to fix the disk signature on one of the VM's. Fortunately I took a snapshot becasue after changing the disk signature, Windows Server 2008 would not boot.
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Please work with our support team if you continue getting this issue... Thanks!
smurteira
Enthusiast
Full Name: Sergio Murteira

[MERGED] Event ID 58 Inside VM's during backup

Post by smurteira »

All my VM's get 3 Event ID 58 / Source: partmgr / Message: "The disk signature of disk 3 is equal to the disk signature of disk 0". I just migrated from a 2008 r2 cluster to a 2012 r2 cluster. Backup and restores seem to work without problems but this warning is a bit worrysome. I tried creating a VM from scratch (iso) with brand new disk and then tried the backup and that still happens. On some of them, it's accompanied by Event ID 157 / Source: Disk / Message: "Disk 2 has been surprise removed"

Is this a known issue? Is anybody else getting this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Sergio, this message is typical for VMs deployed from the same template, though this seems not to be your case. Could you please confirm that?
MerlIT
Novice
Full Name: Andrew Sims

Post by MerlIT »

I get the partmgr ID58 warning logged 4 times in a 2012.R2 VM on each Veeam backup, twice for disk0 and once each for disk1 and disk2. Also three disk ID157 warnings, one for each of disk 3 4 and 5. There are three vhdx disks attached to the VM, each created fresh in the host 2012.R2 Hyper-V manager. Disk 0 has 2 partitions (recovery and OS) and the other disks have single partitions. Disk 2 is excluded from the backup in the Veeam backup job setup, and the Host reports Hyper-V-VMMS errors ID 12240 ('': Attachment 'F:\DATAVM\2012R2FileserverDisk2NoBackup-AutoRecovery.avhdx' not found. Error: 'The system cannot find the file specified.' (0x80070002). (Virtual machine ID ) and 15268 (Failed to get the disk information) so was clearly expecting the excluded disk to have a snapshot.

I don't think the VM OS vhdx was from a template or syspreped VM, but it may have been (I did not install it). Can this be checked and can the warnings be overcome in such a case?
Thanks

(reported as a small part of Case # 00599590. Veeam 7 is at current patch level)
jorgene
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Jorgen Eriksson

[MERGED] W2012 R2 Disk Signature Error

Post by jorgene »

Hi,

Installed a brand new server HP DL380, fully patched (MS and HP) and W2012 R2 fully patched.
Created 2 new VM with W2008 R2 (fully patched MS), these Machines are not cloned or made by templates.

Installed Veeam B&R 7.0.0.871 on a brand new HP ML350, fully patched (MS and HP)(acting backup server)

Now when backup runs i get Event ID error:58 (partmgr) The disk signature of disk 3 is equal to the disk signature of disk 1.
in system log on both W2008 R2 VM's.

This is reported in the eventlog on every machine (VM) and everytime backup runs.
Now after some google searches this seems to be a common error for all backup software utlizing W2012 R2 Hyper-V backup feature.
Are there any solutions for this? (as this will eventually clog the register on the VM's leaving 3keys in the registry on each backup)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: W2012 R2 Disk Signature Error

Post by Dima P. »

Jorgen,

It could happen if you deploy VMs from one template. Please, take a look at this post, I hope it helps.
jorgene
Enthusiast

Re: W2012 R2 Disk Signature Error

Post by jorgene »

Hi, as i said in the first post. These Machines are NOT deployed by template.
It's not template related.

All is freshly installed !
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Jorgen,
My bad - missed that line, sorry.

Users in the very first thread refer to mbrwiz tool, which helped to change the disk signature of the disks in the question. Quick googling also gave me an impression that this warning could appear running dynamic disks (stripped or spanned) that are not fully initialized thru the disk management console.
jorgene
Enthusiast

Post by jorgene »

This is very strange, i created these 2 new VM's in the Hyper-V console on the freshly installed W2012 R2 server. Yes, the disks are Dynamically Expanding, and G1 VM's but the *.vhdx are not stripped or spanned, just ordinary freshly and newly created disks.

It seems to me that something is happening in the backup procedure (which is different from W2012 vs R2) makeing some kind of Clone of the disks that makes the OS in the VM react on it when detected.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, it's a time to open a ticket with our support team, as it's rather hard to find the root cause via forum correspondence. Once a case is opened, please, post its number here for the convenience of future readers. Thanks.
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Andre

[MERGED] Event id 58 and 157 backing up VMs on Hyper V 2012

Post by agrob »

Good Day

We have a standalone HyperV 2012 R2 Server. On this we do Backup a VM with Veeam B&R 7 with latest patch. During backup, following events are logged:

Event 58
The disk signature of disk 2 is equal to the disk signature of disk 0.

Event 157
Disk 2 has been surprise removed.

Those events are logged on the vm wich we backup.

Any Idea why this happens and how it can be fixed?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Andre, please review the thread above for details and feel free to contact technical support if none of the suggestions help.
IDATAAB
Influencer
Full Name: Jeff Wilson

Post by IDATAAB »

I see this occurring on one of my proxy servers and it appears during hot adding of disks. Hasn't affected my backups but it can well be because a lot of my servers are made from the same template or are clones of other servers. Seems to be benign, but would be nice if there was some way to suppress it.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Jeff, this should not affect anything, since Veeam B&R automatically sets SAN policy to offline mode during installation of the proxy server, so hotadded disks are not brought online.