Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Hakartep
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tomas Hruska

Backup file encryption

Post by Hakartep »

Hello there!

I would like to ask if there is any configuration possibility to set up a situation where when I restore some data from backup that has been encrypted by the Veeam aplication (Veeam backup and replication), the system would ask me for password for that particular backup? Situation as it is right now is that if I restore from backup on the same server/aplication where this backup has been encrypted it does not ask me for the password. (this is correct behavior according to the official articles) I understand that I would have to fill in the password for example if I imported the backup to different location etc.

So is there any way to force the password prompt no matter if the backup is being restored on the same server where it was encrypted?

Thanks For answer!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup file encryption

Post by foggy »

Hi Tomas, could you please share the use case for this? Does it imply multi-tenant environment by any chance?
Hakartep
Novice

Post by Hakartep »

Hello Foggy,

Yes that is also the case. As our Veeam Backup and replication is running on a server that multiple people have administrative rights to and not all of them are dealing with backups/Veeam. But it is not the main reason. The main reason for this is that lets say I am backing up some folders from my boss´ laptop and we are encrypting the backup (he is the only one who knows the password) but he would like me to NOT see and go through the backuped data without his presence/aproval (which I can do right now as the system does not ask me for the password as described earlier). It is not a deal breaker, just something I was wondering I can somehow workaround.

Thank You for the awesome support :)
Hakartep
Novice

Post by Hakartep »

Hello guys,

so may I assume this is intended behavior and there is no way around this? (would like to get prompted for password every time I want to restore some data from encrypted backups)

Cheers and have a nice day!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is intended design and there's no way currently to require password for the backup that is already registered and provided password once in Veeam B&R console.