Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Move Veeam Backup O365 to Veeam Backup and Replication Serve

Post by agrob »

Good Day

I have a separate installation of Veeam Backup for O365 on a dedicated Server. This server has a iSCSI Volume from a NAS drive attached which is used as repository. I would like to consolidate our Veeam installations. Therefore i would like to Install Veeam Backup for O365 on our Veeam Backup and Replication Server 9.5 Update 3a. As far as i have found, there is no problem installing Veeam Backup for O365 on the Veeam Backup and Replication Server. Is this still true?

I also need to migrate the repository to the Backup and Replication Server.
1. Is the migration still as described here https://www.veeam.com/kb2649 ?
2. I'd like to move the iscsi volume from the "old" server to the veeam Backup and Replication Server. After that, can i still use the restore points from this repository and if i configure the backup job new and point it to the repsository, does it recognize the data and only read newer data from the source?

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Move Veeam Backup O365 to Veeam Backup and Replication S

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Andre,

If you are running 1.5 then the KB is still correct.

You can indeed install VBO (Veeam backup for O365) on a VBR (Veeam Backup & Replication) update 3a server

For point 2. I am not sure to be honest. You might want to take this one up with support so they can see the exact config. One point is sure though. If you are not reusing the repository, then all the data will need to be downloaded again to the new repository
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Mike Resseler wrote:
For point 2. I am not sure to be honest. You might want to take this one up with support so they can see the exact config. One point is sure though. If you are not reusing the repository, then all the data will need to be downloaded again to the new repository
Thanks Mike! For point 2, that is exactely what i have to avoid. i need to reuse the data already written to the repo and dont want to build a new data repo. I guess then i have to open a case
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Might be best. I believe support knows how to copy the data from old location to new location and reuse what is there
compconsult
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CCP Support Team

Post by compconsult »

Yep, Last time this kind of thing came up Mike and Andre - I did some digging and while I found out how to do it, the best option was "Contact Support" for all future instances :)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Andre,

I did spoke with some people last night and they informed me, due to the additional load that it still is our best practice to keep them split up (running in a VM is a perfect solution, it doesn't have to be physical box). Unless you are in a service provider scenario where the VBO controller has to be on the VCC server. If you still would want to put them together, then use proxies to run the backups and don't put the backup load on the controller. Also, if you install the renewed explorers on that server, they won't be compatible with VBR until update 4 arrives.

One of the things I always advice is to put VBO on a VM and use VBR to backup that VM. Because VBR detects that the VM is a VBO instance, you actually get item-level recovery straight from that image-level backup also
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Thank you for your effort Mike. I'll then keep them separated. As VBO is on a older physical system, i still want to migrate it to a VM (as suggested). The question now is, can i reuse the Backuped Data already in the repository. As in the Migration KB, i guess yes this is, but i'll open a case to clarify.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

The answer should be indeed yes :-)
But please do open that case so it can be done correctly
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Re: Move Veeam Backup O365 to Veeam Backup and Replication Serve

Post by sandsturm »

Hi

Did you already have an answer from support, if it is possible to migrate the repository to a new location or a new server?

thx,
sandsturm
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Move Veeam Backup O365 to Veeam Backup and Replication Serve

Post by Polina »

Hi sandsturm,

Yes, it's possible to migrate your repository and reuse the data. But, as Mike suggested, please contact support for assistance.
Thanks!