Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
shannonadams68
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Shannon Adams

Proper way to setup one weekly full and daily incrementals

Post by shannonadams68 »

Running Veeam 5.0.1.198

I want to do a full backup on Saturday and incrementals for the next six days; skipping Sunday. I will be uploading these automatically to a cloud backup service. Attached is how I have them setup now. But, you notice in the attachment that the latest backup file is the largest. I want the one on Saturday to be the large one and the next six to be incrementals. This way, I only have to upload one huge file to the service per week; versus daily. What setting(s) am I missed here?
shannonadams68
Influencer

Re: Proper way to setup one weekly full and daily incrementa

Post by shannonadams68 »

Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, you need to clear all checkboxes except Saturday. Thanks.
shannonadams68
Influencer

Post by shannonadams68 »

So clear "Enable synthetic fuels", "Transfer previous full backup…", and only leave Saturday checked? If that is the case, wouldn't a backup only occur on Saturday? I want the full to be Saturday and daily incrementals all other days.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

shannonadams68 wrote:So clear "Enable synthetic fuels", "Transfer previous full backup…"
Wait, I did not say this, sorry for not being clear :D keep these on, what I meant to say is unselect all days except Saturday. As you can see from desciption, the days you select there define when synthetic full will be created. With the current settings on your screenshot, you have synthetic full scheduled to be created every day (except Sunday), while you only need it once on Saturday.
shannonadams68 wrote:If that is the case, wouldn't a backup only occur on Saturday?
No. Remember that actual backup job's run schedule is setup in a different place, on the Job Schedule page of the wizard. Above are backup mode related settings only. Which is why they are deep in advanced settings.

In fact, default product settings are set exactly as you want them to be (synthetic full only on Saturday). So if you create new job, you will have all backup mode settings around full backup creation exactly as you want. Just consider additionally enabling transform (disabled by default), and don't forget to set the actual job schedule to make the job run daily on all days except Sunday.
shannonadams68
Influencer

Post by shannonadams68 »

Thanks, Gostev. I will give those settings a shot.