Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
lgengineering
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Philip Garza

Erase still being performed on tapes marked as free

Post by lgengineering »

Environment:
B&R v.9.5.0.1922
Tape library: Dell PowerVault 124T with Quantum Ultrium LTO5 drive
SAS connection to Windows Server Standard 2008
Backup type: File to Tape
I've created a media pool and selected: "Add tapes from Free media pool automatically when more tapes required"

I've loaded a set of tapes, performed a short erase on them using B&R, and marked them as free. I noted that the short erase for each tape took 3 hours and 27 minutes. I start a backup job and after the "building file tree" action it pauses at "Waiting for the next task". During this time the tape autoloader control panel reports that it is erasing the tape currently in the drive. I've tried twices and let the job run for about 6 hours each time.

Is there a way to prevent the erase process? It's an old autoloader so it may be poorly supported, is there perhaps a way to troubleshoot the cause of the unwanted erasure process?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Erase still being performed on tapes marked as free

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Philip.

Does not look expected, thanks for sharing! I'll check with QA team and update this thread with the results of my findings. Cheers!
lgengineering
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Philip Garza

Post by lgengineering » 1 person likes this post

The issue was resolved by installing Veeam on Windows server 2016.

As a side note; I migrated the old hardware (a Dell 6gbps SAS HBA pci card and tape autoloader) to the new server without issue.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Philip,

Thank you for sharing the good news and sorry for keeping silence - we were trying to reproduce the issue but did not get a confirmation in our lab. Can you please clarify what OS you used for the first setup? Cheers!