Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Dean Colpitts

Apply lower restore point policy without running the job?

Post by dcolpitts »

Lets say I have a backup job that has a retention policy of 100 restore points, but the repository is getting low on space, so I change the job to 60 restore points. I don't want to run the backup job right now to clear those additional restore points, but I'd like to apply the new retention policy / restore points to the repository immediately so it frees up that space asap. Is it possible to run the job as a restore point cleanup only? Even if I have to do it via PowerShell just to remove those additional restore points...

dcc
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: Apply lower restore point policy without running the job

Post by Gostev »

If you simply modify the retention policy in the job and start it, then should the incremental backup fail due to lack of disk space, the job will still process retention policy anyway.
dcolpitts
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Dean Colpitts

Re: Apply lower restore point policy without running the job

Post by dcolpitts »

I know that - but here is the thing - I still have enough space for the job to run... Therefore the job will to completion and then process the retention policy. I'm looking for a way to just apply the retention policy without having the backup job actually work. I need to free up the consumed space to be able to do something else on that volume. Truth be told - it's to switch from a NAS share to a Catalyst share on a StoreOnce VSA, and while there is enough free capacity for the next several incremental NAS jobs, there is not enough space to run a new Catalyst job, which would be a full job.

dcc