Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Can Veeam back up VM WITH snapshots?

Post by pufferdude »

Today I accidentally deleted all snapshots on the wrong VM and lost a bunch of restore points I wanted to keep. This was a VM I'm using to test a new application on so losing the old snaps isn't a big deal, but it made me think to ask: IS there a way to tell Veeam to back up a VM *with* its (vSphere) snapshots along for the ride, so I could have restored it from backup and gotten ALL of the disk bits back into their original location? That would be useful to me on a few VMs like this where doing a "restore full VM" would literally restore everything that was on the datastore for that VM (had it been backed up in the first place.)

Just curious!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Can Veeam back up VM WITH snapshots?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jim,

VM snapshots cannot be backed up via vSphere APIs, so you only back up the latest state of a VM. If you would like to do some test against some applications, then spinning up Veeam Data Lab might be a better approach over here. What you do here, basically, is spin up a copy of the production VM in the isolated infrastructure and then run any tests you want. Here is a bit more info on this.

On a side note, please also be aware that keeping open snapshots or running VMs in multiple snapshots is highly not recommended for production VMs due to potential performance problems and issues with snapshot commit operations.

Thanks!
Antanas26
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Antanas Tamasiunas

Post by Antanas26 »

Hey. Quick check if the situation is any different today. Does the current version support taking a Veeam backup of a VM snapshot (so that the snapshot can be removed but the backup is available)? Or, if not, are there any plans to implement this? Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There are no changes in how backup of vSphere VMs works, so my previous reply is still valid. If you need to back up VM at the specific point of time, then probably you can revert to this snapshot and then run a quick backup option (or other) to preserve the state of the VM when the snapshot was taken. Thanks!