Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
itldn
Influencer
Liked: never

Direct SAN low throughput

Post by itldn »

Hi all,

we have vspher 4 with EqalLogic ISCSI SAN
Veeam is installed on a physical Win 2008 and directly connected to the SAN network using ISASI initiator with 1 Gb NIC

1Gb Network, Jumboframes 9000 and flow control are all enabled al the way through

I setup a backup job to backup file to the same VeeaM server but the

Process rate = 52 MB/s

I thought i would see something near 1Gb. this is almost the same if we backup through the network and not use the Direct SAN

is this throughput normal?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Direct SAN low throughput

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Having 1 Gb NIC connection doesn't actually mean that you will automatically get 1Gb processing rate on the full run.

First of all could you please clarify what is the CPU usage on the backup server while you run the backup job? On top of that, please take a look at the corresponding F.A.Q. section, where there are tips on improving iSCSI network throughtput written by joergr (our iSCSI guru).

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Post by Gostev »

50MB/s is fairly typical number to me for 1Gb iSCSI EQL SAN that most people get with default settings... even slightly faster than usual. To improve this further, you may want to try tweaking some settings according to sticky FAQ, this may help.

By the way, you seem to assume that this processing rate you see in UI is the same thing as data copy througtput over your iSCSI network - but it is not. The latter will always be faster. Processing rate is affected by other operations like guest processing or snapshot management (calculated as total VM size divided by total VM processing time). If you want to measure your real SAN access throughtput, use Windows Task Manager network monitor for iSCSI NIC instead.

Also, in future, kindly please review FAQ and search forum before posting your question.

Thanks.
itldn
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by itldn »

CPU averages on 15%

Well I was using the Proccessing Rate as my Holy Grail as i am new to Veeam. I will ignore this rate then.

Thanks for the info