Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

clarifications about near cdp definition

Post by Luca82 »

Hi everyone, there seems to be a little confusion about the use of the term "near CDP" : when I search info around the web, it seems that near CDP is a new (future) functionality of V10 wich uses VAIO api. Actually "near CDP" has not an official definition, so I intend CDP like something close to sincronous replication, while near CDP is when I start a replica (or backup) just after the previous replica is ended: but there is not a minimum required RPO to call near CDP. In Veeam V9.5 there is no a minimum RPO (like, for example, in vsphere replication, which is 5 min) so we can use the term near CDP also in Veeam v9.5.... is it correct? Obviously in V10 we will be able to reduce the RPO and I see that will be introduced the RPO in second.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: clarifications about near cdp definition

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Near CDP is a term we have used in Backup & Replication marketing before. Technically our scheduler can start the job immediately after it was finished. Depending on the Job settings and amount of VMs a Job run need minimum 2 minutes. This approach is not usable at scale as you need to perform VM snapshots and releases with it and this process has IO limitations on the storage and vCenter overhead.

Our "VeeamCDP" planned for 2019 is a replication based on the official VAIO filter from VMware:
This should give you a good overview: https://code.vmware.com/programs/vspher ... -filtering

We will cache some blocks from the VM IO stream and then transport them to the other site. It works high level similar to a async. storage replication when used over long distance WAN.
Luca82
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: lo

Re: clarifications about near cdp definition

Post by Luca82 »

Thank you Andreas. I well undestrand the differences between the use of snapshot and the vaio. My need are just marketing clarifications. I can say that "near CDP" is when I do not choose a specific RPO, but when the job starts immediately after it was finished... so it should be close to 2 minutes (but in theory it could be shorter). Currently I can set an RPO of 1 minute.... with V10 it will be possible to set an RPO of 15 sec (I don't know if it is possible to reduce under 15 sec).