Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
prehcm
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ovidiu Pacuraru

Seeing some strange behaviour with the restore of Exchange

Post by prehcm »

Hi there,

first of all, I'm not sure this is an issue of Veeam but I thought I'd see if anyone has experienced something like this before.

I was about to update an Exchange 2013 to the latest CU so I took a snapshot with VMWARE including RAM.
The Update failed so I restored the snapshot but the EX had problems. I noticed all components weren't running. Since I was in a rush, thinkind there was an issue with the snapshot, I decided to restore the last Veeam backup as it was taken only hours before.
After the full restore of the VM, the EX was still not running and all its components were inactive.
I fixed it by setting all needed components to active.

Now my question is since Veeam made the backup while the EX was perfectly working, why would the result of a restore not be a perfectly working EX?
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 289 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Seeing some strange behaviour with the restore of Exchan

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

The component states are also stored in the active directory configuration partition. If you restore your exchange VM, changes in active directory won't be rollbacked.
In general it's rarely a good idea to do a restore when an update fails because of AD or schema changes. Also Microsoft doesn't support running exchange with an active snapshot.
prehcm
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ovidiu Pacuraru

Re: Seeing some strange behaviour with the restore of Exchan

Post by prehcm »

@regnor

Thanks. That explains my problems and makes so much sense. This jsut shows how much more there is to know about Exchange and VMWare / Veeam.
If you have any links you recommend for me to read up on the matter of where component states are stored and possibly about not running exchange with an active snapshot that would be much appreciated but if not I can certainly google these two topics.

I consider this issue closed as I now know where my problems originated.