Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
MCH_helferlein
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Peter Helfer

V2 Licensing

Post by MCH_helferlein »

Hi Veeam Team & Forum members.

Just installed VBO v2 ... First of all, thanks for this release! Great product, great work! Really appreciated :-)

Now I just come around with the question about licensing.

Currently we are moving User Mailboxes to O365. Not all of the users were migrated already.

Actually we have 72 Mailboxes in O365. Now VBO found some mailboxes from groups, that we have a total of 102 Mailboxes.
VBO found 208 Onedrives and 285 Sharepoint Sites.

In the licensing section it says: 208 licenses used.

How this will be licensed now? How do VBO count? What do I have to expect when people are adding more and more Sharepoint sites.... Are those counted as licenses?

Thanks for some clearup :-)
Regards
Peter
MILJW002
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: James Miller

Re: V2 Licensing

Post by MILJW002 »

Just a quick one to add to this. Firstly, I second the big thank you on the release, very much appreciated.

So far I’ve installed it, and currently only backing up the existing mailboxes. I’m away, so waiting until I get beck before making big changes (adding in OneDrive etc).

I’m a small volume user (10 licenses) so perhaps seeing this more clearly.

I have four users with mailboxes that I’m backing up. One of those has an online archive. Before the upgrade it said I had 4 user licenses used (correct, only 4 mailboxes + 1 Online Archive). Now, it is reporting I’m using 5 licenses. I wasn’t expecting this.

I do have a number of shared mailboxes, but I didn’t think these were counted.

Again, I’m only a small volume user, and I’ve got the licenses to cover this, but is this by design?

J
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 681 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Peter,

Veeam's R&D team is working hard to make the product even better, and it's pleasure to know these efforts are not in vain :)

With 2.0, VBO is moving to a per-user licensing (similar to Office 365 approach; more info here and here). You don't need to license shared resources, though.

If a user has both a mailbox and an online archive, VBO should count this as one license. Can you recall, if there have been any mailboxes/users added to a backup job and then removed?
MILJW002
Enthusiast

Post by MILJW002 »

Hi,

I’ve just double checked and I’ve not create/deleted, or added/removed any user mailboxes in the past few months.

I’ve also just looked in the backup repository, and I don’t see any unexpected user mailboxes in there.

Is this a possible bug?

I recall seeing other threads where people were trying to reconcile the license counts, but their numbers were a lot bigger.

I can try enabling an online archive for a user mailbox, and see if it has an impact?
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

James,

It possibly could be a shared mailbox user with a OneDrive who took an extra license. Please send me your logs via a PM, so that we could check for details. Thanks!
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Peter,

Let me please improve my previous answer a bit.
In the licensing section it says: 208 licenses used.
This seems to be correct. VBO has detected 208 users and disregarded shared sites/mailboxes.
What do I have to expect when people are adding more and more Sharepoint sites.... Are those counted as licenses?
As VBO counts protected users rather than sites, you shouldn't expect any issues until the user count matches the number of licenses.
MILJW002
Enthusiast

Post by MILJW002 »

Hi,

Thanks, I’ve just PM’d you the last week worth of logs. Any tips very much appreciated.
Polina wrote:James,

It possibly could be a shared mailbox user with a OneDrive who took an extra license. Please send me your logs via a PM, so that we could check for details. Thanks!
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

James,

The 5th license has been used for a DiscoverySearchMailbox, which is not a correct behavior. Please contact support to get a fix for this, and post your ID in this thread. so that we could track it.
Thanks!
MILJW002
Enthusiast

Post by MILJW002 »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, and tip on what may be causing it. I’ve now logged this, and the reference is #03121332.

J
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Post by lando_uk »

Hi, How many licenses would I require just to backup sharepoint?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Lando_uk,

As per our licensing FAQ: "Each SharePoint user inside your Office 365 subscription (or on-premises deployment) needs to be licensed to backup and protect your organization’s SharePoint environment."

At this moment, there is another thread on these forums that are talking about this. We take this feedback very seriously so please join this thread (https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-f ... 9-165.html)

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

All,

Please note that due to some miscommunication, there was a mistake in the licensing FAQ. To summarize: Each SharePoint user inside your Office 365 subscription (or on-premises deployment) that has been granted access to the SharePoint sites you are looking to protect needs to be licensed to backup and protect your organization’s SharePoint environment