Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Reklov
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Files 2 Tape SQLServer Maintenance

Post by Reklov »

Hi,

I'm using VBR 9.5 with SQLExpress 2008R2.
I like to create a "Files to Tape" Job. Veeam Support told me, that this will create a lot of entries in the Veeam Database. To evoid reaching the 10 GB Sizeboarder, I like to do some Maintenance ( eg purge all records older than 2 Weeks ), but the Express Edition have no possibility to create some maintenance Jobs. Alternativly I can use a scheduled SQL Script.
Veeam Support told me, that the affected Tables are

dbo.Tape.file_versions
dbo.Tape.files

Has somebody done something similary and can give me the Code ?

BTW, it would not be great to Backup "Backups to Tape" as well "Files to Tape" within one Job with the same Tape(s) ?

Thanks !
Regards
Volker
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Files 2 Tape SQLServer Maintenance

Post by veremin »

I think purging mentioned tables might lead might to undesired consequences, as based on the names they contain information about files archived to tapes along with versions of those files.

Can you tell us the support ticket Id, so that we can take a look?

Thanks.
Reklov
Expert

Post by Reklov »

The Ticketnumber is

Case # 03114289

Thanks !
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it, by manually purging the said tables you might leave the configuration db in corrupted state, and support team won't be able to help you, since custom db modifications are considered unsupported.

So, you can:

- Either ask support team to assist you with this process
- Or mark unused tapes (or tapes that you don't need to keep any longer) as free and let jobs re-use them during next cycles. Basically this will be a supported analogue of purging the db tables

But before doing that I'd probably test file to tapes jobs and see whether the db grows to the level where one of two mentioned options is needed.

Thanks.
Reklov
Expert

Post by Reklov »

Hi,

this sounds good. If a Tape marked as free, this will purge the belonging records, right ? I'll have a look to script this with Powershell and before this I have scheduled a File2Tape Job for the comming WE. I'll see what happen.
If I need the content by a as free marked Tape, I can do a "Catalog Tape", right ?

What about the possibility to have "Backups2Tape" as well as "Files2Tape" within one Job ?

Regards
Volker
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

this sounds good. If a Tape marked as free, this will purge the belonging records, right
Correct.
If I need the content by a as free marked Tape, I can do a "Catalog Tape", right ?
Correct.
What about the possibility to have "Backups2Tape" as well as "Files2Tape" within one Job ?
It's not possible to combine those activities within one job.

Anyway, if I were you, I would test file to tape jobs first to see whether the db size becomes an issue.

Thanks.
Reklov
Expert

Post by Reklov »

... Vladimir, thanks !