Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
YouGotServered
Service Provider
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Using ".\" for User Account in Application-Aware Processing

Post by YouGotServered »

Hey forums!

Per business-policy, we have two servers that are not domain joined, yet require application-aware processing (SQL). All of our non-domain joined computers use the "same" local admin credentials. I have quotes around same because technically, the logon domain is different for each uniquely named VM.

I'm seeing some funky behavior in my job with these two servers regarding application aware processing. In my application aware processing settings, I have one username and password total for both servers: Username is in the form of ".\myserverusername".

The VMs fail to process with "Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors:'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share." and all of that good stuff. However, when I use the "Test" feature in the job with these credentials, one VM fails RPC and VIX processing, while the other just fails RPC, yet succeeds in VIX.

If I go and add two separate accounts in the form of "SERVERLOCALNAME\myusername", VIX and RPC succeed for both VMs

So my questions are:
1. Is there any way to get the ".\" method working so that we can have one account to manage and keep up to date for all of our local servers?
2. Any reason why one VM fails RPC and VIX, and the other just fails RPC?

Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Using ".\" for User Account in Application-Aware Process

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Cory.

Not thru all MS protocols .\ can be properly resolved as a localhost (it can be properly reversed on the high level but resolution may fail on the next transport layer), so whenever you want to use .\ it's better to type in localhost instead. Cheers!
mats.jansson
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Mats

Post by mats.jansson » 1 person likes this post

Hi
You need to install latest vmware tools. Vmware have re-added the ability to use .\username
If you need vix to work, you need to use .\administrator or disable windows uac.
/Mats
Mats
YouGotServered
Service Provider
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Post by YouGotServered »

Got it, thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated. I'll check vmware tools and make sure to use localhost in the future.